Sign in to follow this  
Bradd Schiffman

The New, the Unusual, and the Just Plain Stupid

Billy Graham's movie was beautifully photographed and was projected at the leading edge of performance technology 1964.

It seems many were moved by the Reverend Graham's presentation at the Fair. If not for the message, then for it's execution.

Some, in fact, most of the Religious exhibits were brilliant in thier execution. That was pretty unique to the 64-65 Fair, all those religious pavilions.

Billy Graham's Pavilion was very popular.

Attendance numbers at the Pavilion surpassed all expectations. This was Rev. Billy's heyday, and he was right to the right of Main Entrance / Gotham Plaza. Prime location.

In Billy Graham Pavilion ephemera I own or an Audio trade magazine of the day there was

a floorplan of the Pavilion that detailed maybe twelve small consulting rooms seating 6 each (like Chaplain Rooms at hospital or the like); restrooms; a coffee room and some offices. And of course, an ample exit out.

But then we discovered the IBM Probability Machine and gave it a higher rating for fascination.

[This message has been edited by Ray in Pasadena (edited 05-18-2002).]

Yes the topic is "The New, the Unusual, and the Just Plain Stupid"...Let's take our next caller...hello? rolleyes.gif

The New: computers.

The Unusual: irradiated dimes.

and the Just Plain Stupid: pavilions that charged admission at a Fair where the most spectacular exhibits were all free.

Jeez... Didn't you guys ever watch a Billy Graham "Crusade" on TV in the 60s? A couple of times every summer, Billy Graham would put on one of these huge outreach ministries he called a "Crusade" in some big stadium around the US -- they were always packed. I can remember my mom ironing on a Tuesday night watching them on the kitchen TV. Always in the summer ... always hot ... always extra hot because she was ironing which is why I probably remember this! They'd run every night for about 3 nights. Very boring to a kid who'd rather be watching reruns of The Addams Family.

Anyway, after Billy's sermon, he always had "the call" where people who were so moved could come down the aisle to the front of the stadium, by the alter, and get more information on Christianity and accepting Christ into their lives. They always had the choir sing "Just as I am." It was a big deal back then and I remember this like it was yesterday (oh, where is my youth???). I'm sure that those who were "called" in their hearts to come forward at the Billy Graham Pavilion got the same literature and counseling.

Sorry to go on and on there. I got carried away in a wave of nostaligia!

THE NEW:

Medallion Homes (Where are they now?)

THE UNUSUAL: Salvador Dali's "Art in JEWELS" exhibit at the Pavilion of Spain. (Was I the only one who saw that?)

JUST PLAIN STUPID: Cities Service Band of America playing Sousa marches on a moving motorized tram. (You had to chase them down the street to hear the entire composition.)

The New: Touch-Tone Phones

The Unusual: The Architecture!!!

The Just Plain Stupid: ME!! For not finding a way to go to the Fair more that 2 or 3 times.

The New: Space capsules on top of ICBMs.

The Unusual: Fallout shelter billed as an Underground World Home.

and Just Plain Stupid: Amphicar rides given in hopes of selling 100,000 Amphicars a year by 1970?

The New: The Dishmaker at the Festival of Gas

The Unusual: The Dishmaker at the Festival of Gas

The Just Plain Stupid: The Dishmaker at the Festival of Gas

In my opinion NOBODY'S gonna beat Bill's "Dishmaker" vote, but here are a few that come to mind...

The New: Computerized stuff

The Unusual: Unisphere®

The Just Plain Stupid: A Time Capsule to be opened in 5,000 years thats got it's marker about a foot above sea level.

Hi Hoodlock! Gotta question for u!

You mentioned in one of the threads that the metro area had four local amusement parks during the NYWF years, but i noticed that u did not mention "Adventurers Inn" located in College Point. Did that place exist during the fair? I remember going there probably around 1966 when I was around 4 or 5.

Ciao!

Futurama, I have vague memories of Adventures Inn, but not in College Point, I do remember the Club Safari in College Point. "Adventurers Inn" and other small amusement parks did exist around the park. There were some along Queens Boulevard, however most were gone by the sixties. I found these links for Adventurers Inn; the second one has your answer.

<a href="http://www.rwinters.com/adventure.html" target="_blank">http://www.rwinters.com/adventure.html</a> <a href="http://www.bbrent.com/gallery/ad_inn.htm" target="_blank">http://www.bbrent.com/gallery/ad_inn.htm</a>

Go to Queensboard.com and post your question. The board will light up with more information about the amusement parks. Beware of the Queensboard, it is not like PTU, people are suspicious of new people and the board restricts the contents of what you can post and will delete anything, for any reason.

Bill, the dishmaker dish-appeared in the second season. Do you remember 2000 tomorrows? Or the floating Plexiglas dining set designed to be used in space?

There was an Adventurer's Inn restaurant with its small amusement park near FMCP. You could see it from the Whitestone/Van Wyck Expwy heading southbound. A landmark for a kid on the way to the airports. There were others around the NYC area. Mostly kiddie rides if I recall. They disappeared in the '70s.

[This message has been edited by Gene (edited 05-19-2002).]

My favorite place to eat was the African Pavilion; I would sit by the window in the Tree-House Restaurant. This window overlooked the stage and below was Suzie. Suzie was the giraffe you see on postcards and her head would reach the window, I often would share my peanut bread with her. As a kid, I don’t think there is a 'worst' place to eat. But clearly, the dirtiest places were the Brass Rails.

The New: A major post-war World's Fair in New York City.

The Unusual: One billion dollars essentially contributed by American industry in order to participate.

And The Just Plain Stupid: Thinking that these once-in-a-lifetime events should only be considered successful if they end up making money.

I dimly recall that Adventurers Inn at College Point. I think I was at the bar once or twice. It was still there in the 70's. There was one in Yonkers too, wasn't there?

My favorite place to eat at the Fair was the Hong Kong Pavilion because I like cheap chop suey.

I lived near the Adventurer's in Yonkers. It was a family restaurant with a small amusement park outside, mostly kiddy-type rides. That one closed in the early '80s and was replaced by a shopping center. The restaurant part actually made it into the movies. There was a scene shot there in the film "Flamingo Kid".

There was a small Adventurer's Inn located in Farmingdale NY on Rte. 110. This one still exists and is now called Adventureland. It has been renovated over the years and is a nice little place.

I remember while I was living on LI seeing the little one in Farmingdale and then passing the big one in Queens, the design of the signs were the same and it just amazed me as a kid that they were the same company! Who could own two amusement park? I wasn't aware of the one in Yonkers.

Me, too... and now we have lots of new members who should post their nominees for New, Unusual and Just Plain Stupid!

As far as the billion dollars being donated by industry, Bradd, didn't that billion include the widening of the Grand Central Parkway, Shea Stadium and maybe even the Verazano Narrows Bridge?

I've always wondered what portion of that much-touted billion went to long-lasting infrastructure.