Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Wouldn't it be wonderful to walk through this gate again?

If they were taking tickets I would be first on line!

nywf-meadow-lake-gate.jpg

This is the Meadow Lake Gate, which was the one my father usually picked for our family outings.

Hi there!

Was just curious where would that entrance be located today?? I can't imagine where that could have been located. Also wanted to know if anyone has a picture of the Lawrence Gate Entrance from 64-65.

Thanks.

It is great to see the WF flag on the pole. I have one of those flags but seldom find photographs of the flag flying. It is a great shot. Thank you.

The Meadow Lake Gate was at the far southern end of the lake entertainment area, just next to the Grand Central Parkway and south of the Long Island Expressway. There was a parking lot right there and it was convenient to get to from the highway. There was a larger lot on the other side of the lake, which was the River Gate.

I would love to have my own Fair flag, although most of my neighbors here in Los Angeles wouldn't have a clue as to what it was if I flew it. Does anyone know what the other flags in the picture might represent?

That's a good question, Bill. In all the photos I've seen, they've been national flags when flown in groups like that, with the Fair flag the most numerous. Somewhere there's a document outlining the flag placement scheme, I'm sure.

We talked of the benches, the flagpoles, the lights and even the pavement. One thing I have never seen considered here are the gate towers that marked each entrance of the fair.

Standing outside of the fair, each tower stood fifty to sixty feet tall. They were made of steel and had fiberglass panels that were illuminated from within.

In December of 1963, I climbed half way up the tower that marked the River Gate.

The sections of these towers were welded into one piece, only the fiberglass panels and the wiring could easily be removed. Making them practically indestructible, so I ask, what do you think happened to them.

Coincidently, I just watched another World's Fair Report, Mr. Berns interviewing Constable, Meyers, et al. There was a flag placement protocol, which Meyers(sp) described as most difficult. His security & maintenance dept. was responsible for the flags. Over 400 poles on the grounds, plus the 2 big ones by the P.O.I.

BTW, I can see why Greg liked Bill Berns so much. We would've liked him, too. R.I.P.