Sign in to follow this  
waynebretl

The Fair From the Air

Periscope films just posted "The New York World's Fair From the Air."

At 1:30, while the narration is about Japan, you can see the General Cigar smoke ring actually working in the background.

• Like 1

It looks suspiciously like they did a restore (at least a neutral balance), but failed to recover anything from the cyan layer, and ended up with  a red/green rendition. I have seen a similar effect on a film about the CBS network color studio in 1957. Camera viewfinders, which must have photographed bluish, are reproduced as green, and the performers' colorful costumes are either red or green.

It’s a good film although I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a promotional film of the NYWF that didn’t linger on the GM and Ford pavilions and, especially, the Pieta in the Vatican Pavilion.

It's a shame the color wasn't corrected for this film.

I did see one building that still haunts me:

zzzzz11a.jpg

This thread makes me feel that while we do know how the fair was built and what was done from all the documents....

It feels like we do a decent amount of reverse engineering on the fair too. I love it.

Isn`t that the press Building?

5 hours ago, TOTHEFAIR said:

Isn`t that the press Building?

No, there's a building with what looks like a striped roof in some other photos that can be seen here just between the road and the Press Building. So far it has eluded us as to what it was. May not even be a building - possibly a tent for a major press event?