Sign in to follow this  
magikbilly

A few new slides.

Thanks Bill - I will post some more. Here is one of my favorite new slides - interior Westinghouse 1939 - I also have, finally, the mural above Motoman as well but the auction scan is poor - need to make a better one:

PS - I bet that Dances of the Races slide is October 27, 1940 looking at those trees and lighting. I think I have about 10 closing day 1940.

w2.jpg

Great photos, Eric.  The Four Freedom statues were epic.  They provide a powerful image of that aspirational fair.  

On 4/27/2020 at 1:52 AM, Jim said:

Great photos, Eric.  The Four Freedom statues were epic.  They provide a powerful image of that aspirational fair.  

Thanks Jim! Here are some  more - I chose another 4 Moods for you. So Crosley, Westinghouse mural, Petroleum,  GM, the Moods and the last is closing night, Oct. 27, 1940. I only have sellers scans to work with right now. :(

Crosley39.jpg

westinghouse.jpg

pet1.jpg

gm1.jpg

4.jpg

closing.jpg

• Like 1

Eric, that second-to-last photograph of the Four Freedoms silhouetted by a setting sun near the Lagoon of Nations is quite wonderful especially for a visitor’s snapshot. When I look at that photo it  feels like 1939.

Eric, those are Leo Friedlander’s Four Freedoms, right?  The Moods of Time were near the Theme Center.  Paul Manship was the artist.

That second photo caught me off guard.  I’ve never seen it.  Too bad Westinghouse didn’t include her in their Time Capsule.

Hi Jim,

I also love the sunset shot - wait till properly scanned! And yes, the 4 Friedlander Freedoms - a typo. Glad you liked them :)

More coming.

Thanks,

Eric 

How wonderful it could have been had 1939 statuary been designed as permanent features of the planned park.  When the statues were created, virtually everyone believed the Fair would make a ton of money so why not include statuary for the magnificent park that was certain to follow?

That shot of the Four Freedoms silhouetted against the evening sky is beautiful.  It could not have been an emotionally easy task for those who were assigned to knock them down.  Unless, of course, the demolition folks were total philistines.

4 hours ago, icedstitch said:

George Washington is enjoying the Pepsi logo. 

Took me a minute, but I got it.

And another - Theme Center 1939 with the speakers for the "voice of the Perisphere" visible (sellers photo):

Theme Center.jpg

This is identifiable as 1939 because the Medicine and Public Health building does not have the added entrance under the mural. And, there does not appear to be an information booth center of the Great Compass. Information booth - segue...

An information booth (my second)...Johnny Lynch and his Daredevils at Goodrich (3 total), Clotho ending someones life with her shears (detail of the Great Sundial), and the Four Freedoms with the nightly fireworks display behind in a rather dramatic shot Again, sellers photos, not scans..

Information.jpg

Goodrich 1.jpg

Clotho.jpg

Moods fireworks 39.jpg

These are but a few - (4 Freedoms again for Jim)I think I bought way more than 60 - I really don't know. Many superb shots to come including very comprehensive Russia: exteriors both night and day, details of sculptures, interiors, and the Russian Arctic plane on display in the lesser known secondary Russian exhibit. Glass interiors, Sun Valley at night, Aquacade at night, a worthwhile fireworks shot, Gas night and day, Heinz, and much more I can't remember...additional Westinghouse exteriors showing the various color combinations and one at the golden hour (Trey)...more. More still. I think it was a good batch from 3 sources. 

• Like 1

Eric, I’ve never seen a closeup shot of Clotho.  What a beautiful photograph.  I sometimes wonder how many Fair visitors understood the statuary.  Nevertheless, it’s a wonderful image.

The photograph of The Four Freedoms at the far end of Constitution Mall is so rare.  Well, I’ve never seen a shot like that and it’s just remarkable.  One gets a real sense of the length of the Mall and whoever took that photo really captured the ephemeral beauty of the Fair:  The Mall, the fireworks, the statuary.  What a glorious moment in time forever captured on film.  

Eric,  the two spotlights.  Where were they located?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the nice words. I also love the Clotho image. The Freedoms - yes, a special image. I have seen things like it, some by the same photographer, but this one had the most going on by far. The spots are part of the Westinghouse Canopy of Light over Lagoon. There were at least 3. I can't wait to get these in hand.