Sign in to follow this  
Ray in Pasadena

Frequent Visits to the DuPont Pavilion

DuPont was unquestionably a multi-visit show; it was best to sneak onto the line when the fireworks were going off at the Pool of Industry. At that time, everyone would be looking up and we would slowly back into the head of the line. E. I., E. I. du pont de Nemours and company.

On one of my visits to DuPont, I wore my Sunday best blue suit, white shirt, red tie and polished black shoes. (It was a Sunday, actually). I also had a gold pin in my lapel. As I stood in line, a few of the college age girls moved ahead, but I stood still and as I was at the end of the line, I turned 180 degrees and stood facing the new visitors heading toward me on the way to the DuPont Show. Somehow, many of them thought I was a DuPont Pavilion emloyee (official greeter?), and I was asked about when the next show starts and how long is the wait, etc. I responded with the right answers as I knew this show quite well. I did this for about twenty minutes and had a great time meeting people from all over the country. I was amazed at how simple it was to have dozens of young women speaking to a total stranger, just by turning around 180 degrees in a moving line at the World's Fair.