Ken

Revised design for USA Pavilion at Dubai Expo 2020....

I just saw an article in Arabian Business that states the US isn’t even paying for this pavilion.  Instead. It is being funded through the “generosity” of the government of the UAE.

If this is correct I wouldn’t waste one minute inside of that pavilion.  If the UAE has to fund the construction of an American pavilion that is just pathetic.

• Like 1

Considering the current pandemic and the ensuing restrictions on international travel and large public gatherings, I wonder if Expo 2020 will be postponed or even cancelled altogether?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, expoboy said:

Considering the current pandemic and the ensuing restrictions on international travel and large public gatherings, I wonder if Expo 2020 will be postponed or even cancelled altogether?

I think that will depend on the state of the pandemic by October when Expo 2020 opens....

22 hours ago, Jim said:

I just saw an article in Arabian Business that states the US isn’t even paying for this pavilion.  Instead. It is being funded through the “generosity” of the government of the UAE.

If this is correct I wouldn’t waste one minute inside of that pavilion.  If the UAE has to fund the construction of an American pavilion that is just pathetic.

Yes, it was announced in January that the UAE would be funding construction of the USA Pavilion, after the initial sponsorship fell-through. It is a bit embarrassing that we can't even fund our own pavilion....

I think I read that over ninety nations will be participating at this world’s fair but the USA can’t figure how to be a part of an exposition in a part of the world where we desperately need good relations and which will grow in importance throughout this century.  We need the host nation to build the pavilion.  

It’s beyond embarrassing.  It’s a total disgrace.

• Like 2

Last fall, a film was being shown on YOUTUBE, which showed interviews with the designers of the US Pavilion. The main part of the pavilion shown was circular, not very impressive. Although a bit of an improvement over that design, it is not what we have come to expect for a pavilion in the 21st century. The last few pavilions that have been at fairs, have really been disappointing, especially the architecture. Gone is the greatness of NY in 1964, and Montreal in 1967.

I have been looking for that video.  It was an architectural firm in NYC that was designing the pavilion, I think.  I wonder what happened.  Whatever the reason they’re not doing it, the idea that the USA is relying on the charity, or whatever it is, of the host country is so incredibly sad.  

13 hours ago, Jim said:

I have been looking for that video.  It was an architectural firm in NYC that was designing the pavilion, I think.  I wonder what happened.  Whatever the reason they’re not doing it, the idea that the USA is relying on the charity, or whatever it is, of the host country is so incredibly sad.  

Is this the video?

16 hours ago, TOTHEFAIR said:

Last fall, a film was being shown on YOUTUBE, which showed interviews with the designers of the US Pavilion. The main part of the pavilion shown was circular, not very impressive. Although a bit of an improvement over that design, it is not what we have come to expect for a pavilion in the 21st century. The last few pavilions that have been at fairs, have really been disappointing, especially the architecture. Gone is the greatness of NY in 1964, and Montreal in 1967.

The US had huge pavilions of groundbreaking design at Brussels 1958, Montreal 1967, and Osaka 1970.  The USSR also had large pavilions the were very flashy but maybe not quite as groundbreaking in their design and construction. The reason for these entries was the Cold War, each country trying to outdo the other.  Since the end of the Cold War this has not been the case.  At Expo 2000 in Hannover, the US started with a large pavilion and ended up construction nothing.  The former USSR had a tiny exhibit located inside one of the vast halls that contained mostly Third World nations.

• Like 1