Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Where was the UN in 1964?

In 1965 the United Nations moved into the former Sierra Leone pavilion.

Where was the UN in 1964? Answer and picture tomorrow if no one has one to share by then!

Hmmm.

I know the New York City Pavilion housed the United Nations, but that was in 1946.  So, I'm sure you didn't transpose the numbers, seeing you stated it moved to Sierra Leone Pavilion in '65.

So they had a presence in 1964?  Does Unicef count?

Holy crap. I’ve seen telephone booths larger and with more aesthetic appeal. What happened? Was this an exhibit planned and built the day before the Fair opened?  As I type this I am remembering the rather stellar UN pavilion at Expo 67.  (Interestingly, it showcased the film, To Be Alive, which had been so acclaimed at the 1964 Johnson’s Wax pavilion.) Even the failing League of Nations had  a worthy pavilion in 1939.  I never knew there was any UN presence in 1964.  And in truth, there wasn’t regardless of that cubby hole we see in this long ago photograph. 

• Like 1

"The UN exhibit?"  "Sure, take a left at the two dumpsters and three trash cans."  "Can miss it."

I sure like to know the story behind this.  Were they underfunded in 1964?  Or did they have no plans to have an exhibit?  Hard to believe.  

Wow, that must have been very early - split into two buildings, apparently where NYSP and the Vatican eventually went?

How does this compare with the earliest planning maps/models we have?

My guess would be that Robert Moses offended UN leadership and they walked away.

Who did Robert Moses not offend?

Well. I don’t believe Mr. Moses ever met the great Will Rogers otherwise Will wouldn’t have said that he “never met a man he didn’t like.”

I checked, and the BIE is/was not associated with the UN, but I could imagine BIE members putting pressure on the UN behind the scenes to kill major participation. Just a conspiracy theory of mine, but...

1 hour ago, waynebretl said:

I checked, and the BIE is/was not associated with the UN, but I could imagine BIE members putting pressure on the UN behind the scenes to kill major participation. Just a conspiracy theory of mine, but...

the same thought crossed my mind.  I don't think so, but I wouldn't be shocked if there was pressure.

I doubt that happened.  Who at the UN or what UN agency would have any contact with or interest in the BIE?  The UN has far bigger issues than considering what the BIE says or does.  A decision to participate in an event such at the NYWF would have been presented to the General Assembly and would be a matter of record.  The IOC has no connection with the UN and if anybody at the BIE was delusional enough to have made such an attempt it would prove Mr. Moses correct when he referred to the BIE as a bunch of old men in a dingy Paris apartment.

I noticed the last storefront in this photo is labeled "Monaco."  Was this some sort of official exhibit or just a place to sell merchandise from Monaco.  Anyone know?