Covid 19 may ruin the Tokyo Olympic Summer Games.  The IOC seems to believe that there is only one option if the virus is a danger to athletes and visitors— cancel the Games.  While protecting the athletes and visitors is most important, there appears to be no plan, on the part of the IOC, to postpone the Games to 2021.  It’s difficult to imagine that all of the money and effort on the part of Japan could all be for nothing.

If that virus is still causing havoc this summer and beyond, it is almost inevitable that the exposition in Dubai would be negatively affected.

I would add that the news stories that the ruler of Dubai has tortured and imprisoned his own daughters certainly does not lend a positive air to the exposition.  The stunning architecture and promise of this world’s fair in a nation lead by a dictator does not make the idea of a fair visit all that appealing.

• Like 1

I can't disagree, Jim. After taking my family to Expo 2010 in Shanghai-- we all looked forward to visiting Dubai in 2020. But between disease and dictatorship-- it's hard to justify the risk and expense.

I happened to be flipping through channels the other night and came across a show where the host was talking about some skyscraper in Dubai.  I wasn't much interested in the show but they showed some incidental scenes of Dubai at night, and it was pretty breathtaking.

2 hours ago, worldsfairent said:

I can't disagree, Jim. After taking my family to Expo 2010 in Shanghai-- we all looked forward to visiting Dubai in 2020. But between disease and dictatorship-- it's hard to justify the risk and expense.

I also had this trip on my "to do" agenda, but now I'm waiting to see how this coronavirus thing shakes out and to see the first reviews of Expo 2020.  If anyone posting here does go (worldsfairent), please post a review, and let us know what Expo 2020 is like.

I went to the '05 , '10 and '15 fairs, but between the political situation (one that a friend who unhappily works in Dubai keeps my apprised  of-  and, alas, she's 'escaping'  -  she requested her company to transfer her out, actually -  before the Expo opens) and the health issues, Dubai is off the list (Architecture does look great, tho!)

AM on for Osaka '25; already planning to go with Bill and Rita Young!. .  Went to Expo 70 as a teenager and am looking forward to the new Expo and visiting the site of the old one.