Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Let there be light (towers)!

I thought this was a good view of one of the light towers around the Unisphere. Did you know that some of those lights were later used at Woodstock? Newly restored 35mm slide from 1965.

light-tower-65.jpg

I’ve seen that comment before, Bill—that some of the light towers were used at Woodstock.  Last year there a number of documentaries about Woodstock which is about a hour and a half from where I live.  I carefully looked at every scene (in still photos and motion pictures) and I saw nothing even close to resembling those tower.  In fact, because the location had been changed from Woodstock, NY to Bethel, NY, the organizers were so behind in preparations and so overwhelmed by massive numbers of people arriving days ahead of the event they didn’t even have time to build a basic fence around Yaagur’s farm and by the start of the concert tens of thousands were pouring onto the site without ever even buying a ticket.  The stage was still under construction just hours before the concert began.  With all the disorganization, how could those towers have ever been installed?  There is no sign of them unless you might have a photograph that shows them on the grounds.  

On a side note, Binghamton University (SUNY) sent an archaeological team to the concert site in 2018 to try to determine the exact location of the main concert stage.  After several weeks of studying photographs and examining soil samples the team was still not prepared to mark the exact spot.  They did find some coins, bottles and broken glass, beer cans and the number one discovery was those pop top tabs which detached from the cans creating their own form of litter and which were quite new in 1969.  They were everywhere.

It was just the lights, not the towers. There's mention of it in the Woodstock Museum. Interesting about the pop top rings!!

I really love this photo. What an interesting point of view. You got New Jersey, A Brass Rail and of course a close up view of the light tower . Very cool.  

I too, tried to find out about the towers used at Woodstock when I first heard this story.  Alas, these towers were not used at Yasgur's farm.

However, I did find a story about the towers being used at the first Woodstock site, before the promoters and crew building the site were thrown out of that town.  The towers were left there, and only the lights were used at the "real" Woodstock site.

Thank you to Bill and To Sunguar for the info.  Bill, I had almost forgotten that those pop top rings were originally designed to be pulled right off the can.  There must be billions of them underneath the soil across this continent.  

12 hours ago, Jim said:

Thank you to Bill and To Sunguar for the info.  Bill, I had almost forgotten that those pop top rings were originally designed to be pulled right off the can.  There must be billions of them underneath the soil across this continent.  

When I was a wee lad (a long time ago), I was fishing with my Dad and his brothers (my uncles of course).  This was before any environmental movement existed (this was in the early 60's).  My uncle made a point (and a strong one), not to throw any of the beer tabs into the water, as the fish would mistake them for minnows, swallow them, and then die.  He personally went around and collected the tabs from all those who were there.  At the end of the day, he had a huge ring of them.  It made an impression on me as a youngster.

• Like 1

I was 8 (in the mid 80's) when I talked mom into getting a metal detector off the home shopping network.

I canvassed the backyard with that thing and stopped using it after finding nothing but 5 pop tops in a row. 

That house was built in the end of the 70's in the middle of an Ohio cornfield.