Sign in to follow this  
icedstitch

Was anyone thinking....

Looks like the only water near it is the pools around the US Pavilion.

That's for sure.  Not really meant for the walkway, like the fountain of the planets is.

It's for the pavilion.

Just purely funny that something should have been put along it to represent the 5 lakes. IMHO 

When one looks at a map of the 1939 Fair it is interesting how close to Long Island Sound it was and this is the same for the 1964 Fair, of course.  It’s often caused me to wonder why there wasn’t more of an effort to make use of that shoreline.  Three fairs in the 1930s in the US utilized waterfront locations:  Chicago, Cleveland and San Francisco.  I know how Flushing Meadow was transformed from “the valley of ashes,” of course.  I do wonder what might have happened had the grounds been developed to include Long Island Sound shoreline.

Just a thought.

it's a good thought.  Utilizing the waterfront is a great idea, though I wonder if it'd be kept to a sizeable chunk.  The shoreline stays flat and long, with not much to break it up, though of course you have things to see on the far side.

The sight lines need to be broken up as people walk around the fair to keep their interest and mind at work.  I think that the shapes and the sights of the 64 and 39 WF were memorable because every turn or step you'd see something else.