Sign in to follow this  
magikbilly

Dance of the Races @ Night w/Perisphere

Hi All,

another image - this of the Dance of the Races at night. It is after 10 pm as the Helicline is closed down. Lovely colors. Probably closing day 1940 from some other slides showing denuded trees and "I Was There Closing Day" pennants.

Enjoy :)

PTU DOTR.jpg

Thanks for these - the color is gorgeous!

This reminds me - has anyone ever seen a color shot of the Kodak interior with the panorama of multiple Kodachrome projections? I've only come across monochrome ones.

I was reminded of this by proofreading a chapter of an upcoming SMPTE book that will chronicle yearly activities of the SMPE/SMPTE since its inception. Much of it is dry accounts of what committee structures changed, list of reports given at the conventions, etc. However, some of the more interesting tidbits are brief mentions of the field trips during some conventions. The fall 1939 convention (October 16-19) included a trip to the New York World's Fair on Monday evening for successive special presentations at Chrysler's auditorium,  and at sustaining members' exhibits: RCA, Kodak, and American Telephone and Telegraph.

A paper and accompanying stereoscopic film were presented at Chrysler; television was demonstrated at RCA.

Kodak expounded on the eleven special projectors used to produce the panorama of Kodachrome pictures, and the delegates examined the equipment behind the scenes in the projection room. 

AT&T presented a demonstration of two-channel recording on steel tape. SMPE delegates' conversations on stage were recorded and then their conversations were played back while mannequins replaced them, to illustrate the illusion of sound emanating from the proper locations.