Sign in to follow this  
icedstitch

New York Subways: Why they Stopped Building them

That’s very interesting information.  Thank you for sharing this with us.  

Yes, a very interesting article indeed. And one that sadly I can't argue with. NYC needs to step up its game but the costs are so crazy now.

I contend that the United States doesn't stress on public transportation as much as other countries do.

The countries that do really make their stations an architectural and engineering dream land.

The US citizens enjoy their individualistic freedom within their own vehicles much more. And that's helped the subway become deteriorated here.

The two metro systems with which I have a fair amount of familiarity as a rider are Montreal and Washington, DC. However, those systems are much newer (Montreal opened its first lines in late 1966 and DC opened its first lines in the late 1970s).  Today, DC has half the mileage of NYC while Montreal has about a third of NYCs mileage.  Montreal’s entire Metro system is below ground and much of the DC Metro is below ground with surface lines outside of the District of Columbia in suburban Virginia and Maryland.  Montreal is currently expanding and is looking to also add a surface light rail system.   Both learned from NYC’s successes and errors.  And each system has some remarkably appealing stations.  Considering when and how NYC’s subway system was built and how many millions of people it carries every day it is still a remarkable operation.