64mike

Recent visit to the Queens Museum

Visited the Queens Museum recently and the planes are operating out of LGA again in the Panorama. In the WF open storage area saw a cool scale model of the fair. Here's a close-up of the Unisphere.

64 WF model at the Queens Museum copy smaller.jpg

I'd love to have the chance to visit the Queens Museum.

Last time I was there was during the fair...I was five or six years old.

Some time back I heard about the plans for an addition to the Museum and I decided to donate my entire collection, some of which had been put on display in their Visible Storage section...

On 2/5/2020 at 10:09 AM, 64mike said:

Visited the Queens Museum recently and the planes are operating out of LGA again in the Panorama. In the WF open storage area saw a cool scale model of the fair. Here's a close-up of the Unisphere.

64 WF model at the Queens Museum copy smaller.jpg

Nice shot! And welcome!!

Is the QMA actually accepting memorabilia from the two world’s fairs?  Twenty or more years ago, the QMA rather vociferously announced that it was deaccessioning much of its world’s fair collections and concentrate on developing itself as an art museum which might one day rival its counterparts in Manhattan.  Did the museum proceed with that plan or has it since reversed itself?

I don't know what they are accepting. Based on the crowd flow, the main draw appears to be the panorama. The WF memorabilia is kind of tucked away in the back. It doesn't seem to be developing as a major art museum.

I wish I knew what their plan/mission statement is. I would think about donating some of my stuff, but I know that they got ride of a bunch of donated items in the past when a former curator decided to move away from anything Fair related. If it's going to be sold off I might as well sell it myself and enjoy the money. Still trying to think about a good home for the photos where they will be useful.

8 minutes ago, Bill Cotter said:

Still trying to think about a good home for the photos where they will be useful.

Library of Congress?

4 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

Still trying to think about a good home for the photos where they will be useful.

Or the Smithsonian.  I know that's where Ed Orth's vast collection of 1939-40 NYWF material went.

How about the New York Public Library? They have the 1964-65 World's Fair Corporation records and the Robert Moses archives.

HI Bill, I can ask at the NY Public Library. You have my e-mail if you want to send me what we're talking about.

Bill, how about the New York Historical Society.  They have a large collection of ephemera from both fairs and seem to prize what they have.  I have made arrangements with them for a part of my collection