Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Anyone hungry? These folks were!

I believe this was at the Brass Rail on Avenue of the Americas between RCA and the Protestant & Orthodox Pavilion. Newly restored 35mm slides dated May 1965. Anyone have an extra one of those cups??

eating-1.jpg

eating-2.jpg

What is that post/pipe on the left of #1?

They all look so young, they are all grandparents now. How time flies. 

22 hours ago, waynebretl said:

What is that post/pipe on the left of #1?

An electric connection. I know the Fair Corp had a few TV cable points around the site for broadcast crews to connect remote vans, and this may have been one of them.

20 hours ago, scrock30 said:

They all look so young, they are all grandparents now. How time flies. 

Yeah, you wonder how many are still with us.

Yes Bill, I was wondering that myself when I was lookg at these pctures. I was not even in kindergarten when I went to the fair and I just turned 61.

3 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

An electric connection. I know the Fair Corp had a few TV cable points around the site for broadcast crews to connect remote vans, and this may have been one of them.

Now that you say that, I can guess probably two weather-proof audio connections on the top and a large coaxial cable socket for video up inside the slanted tube to protect it from weather. 

This would be the first that's come to my attention. I had always guessed that they would be hidden under a ground-level cover plate.

I believe they are using paper straws.  As more and more restaurants are finally eliminating single use plastic straws and  with billions of those things filling landfills (and our oceans) every year, it’s good to see there was actual civilization in the era of the paper straw and that lowly object may have a Renaissance.

8 hours ago, waynebretl said:

Now that you say that, I can guess probably two weather-proof audio connections on the top and a large coaxial cable socket for video up inside the slanted tube to protect it from weather. 

This would be the first that's come to my attention. I had always guessed that they would be hidden under a ground-level cover plate.

I believe I have seen a picture with cables running from a remote van to a pole like this near Equitable.

The operations manual shows a connecting pad behind the bubble-top Brass Rail on the other side of RCA, between that Brass Rail and the Pavilion. It also shows an access road (but no connection pad) between the back of RCA and the Brass Rail that abuts the Protestant and Orthodox center. I believe that road is shown in this photo:

mu-1964wf.jpg.c133d9b88e0048ffe4fa006ffa753c8a.jpg

and in the top two photos here, which shows how it almost connected with the pad near the bubble-top Brass Rail:

5e2dd5b098d2e_RCANewChristyMinstrels-fromHerbKircher.thumb.jpg.1ec8b27b6fd329b776c5a261664a24b9.jpg

The ops manual doesn't show anything near Equitable.

A friend who has been in broadcasting for decades says the small connectors look like they could be audio and/or video, and the large downward slanting tube looks like it's for a high-amperage AC "shore power" connection for a remote broadcast truck.

40 minutes ago, waynebretl said:

A friend who has been in broadcasting for decades says the small connectors look like they could be audio and/or video, and the large downward slanting tube looks like it's for a high-amperage AC "shore power" connection for a remote broadcast truck.

That's my guess as well.

Where does the Ops Manual list the other connection points?

http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/operations-drawings-manual/sheet-27.pdf

It's a little peculiar, in that the numbered connection pads are called "Worlds Fair Owned TV Connection Pads," while there are also a large number of unnumbered "TV Access Roadway or Parking Area" places. I would think these all would have power, but it's not noted on that page.

Neither the primary nor secondary electrical distribution sheets show anything specifically at the TV pads.

OK - the one near American Interiors, then.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:55 PM, waynebretl said:

Beat me to it! That stand looks like every shore power connection my RV ships hooked up to. Land line phones and big honking high voltage w enough juice to run a 300’ vessel. 

Thanks! The answer needed someone who had seen one before.