Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Building Shea Stadium

I have to admit this makes me a little sad. This picture reminds me of the shots taken as the  stadium was coming down. I miss Shea. Quite a few important moment in my life took place here.  

We were there a lot, and I for one really appreciated it over Yankee Stadium. WAY better sightlines and easier to get to from Long Island!

American history is full of tragic stories of demolition.  On a national level one of the greatest losses was Pennsylvania Station in NYC but every town and every city has an equally regretful story of lost magnificence.  1960s urban renewal made such demolition acceptable until the results produced uninspired and sometimes unfortunate changes.

As I look at this photo it makes me wonder what history might be like if the Romans had demolished the Coliseum and replaced it with something new with better seating,  larger brightly lighted locker rooms for the gladiators and visiting captives preparing for battle, more snack bars and souvenir stands and sky boxes for member of the Senate.  And of course, a much larger parking area for chariots.

Maybe building with steel makes demolition and replacement far too tempting and far too easy.  Fortunately, the Pyramids are constructed with twenty ton blocks of stone or somebody would have proposed replacing them with something more “modern.”