Interesting article but no matter how long I look at the photograph I do not see how expo 2020’s “Sustainability pavilion recalls the towers of New York’s 1964 fair.”

• Like 1

I'd guess that from this angle, it looks a bit like looking up at the underside of the Tent of Tomorrow, but I could just as easily say that it evokes the flying wing of the Bell System

AP19288632064499-640x400.jpg

• Like 1

It looks like something from Close Encounters.

On another note, most news outlets said that Iran recently threatened to launch missile attacks on Haifa and in Dubai if war should come to pass. Not one newscaster even mentioned Dubai’s world’s fair plans.  There was a time when a city hosting a world’s fair was big news.  I guess not any more although a middle attack would certainly put a dent in attendance figures.  I’d put up with a tornado just to see a great fair, but a missile attack would put a wet blanket on the best of plans.

12 hours ago, Jim said:

It looks like something from Close Encounters.

On another note, most news outlets said that Iran recently threatened to launch missile attacks on Haifa and in Dubai if war should come to pass. Not one newscaster even mentioned Dubai’s world’s fair plans.  There was a time when a city hosting a world’s fair was big news.  I guess not any more although a middle attack would certainly put a dent in attendance figures.  I’d put up with a tornado just to see a great fair, but a missile attack would put a wet blanket on the best of plans.

I would imagine that Expo 2020 would be cancelled - like Tokyo 1940 and Rome 1942 - if any major military conflict occurs between the US and Iran, as allies in the area would be at high risk of attack by Iranian forces.

I had never really heard much about that 1940 Lisbon exposition.  So I looked up some info and it appears only Portuguese colonies and independent Brazil were invited to attend.  The site also referred to the 1939 NYWF AS A “trade fair.”

9 hours ago, Jim said:

I had never really heard much about that 1940 Lisbon exposition.  So I looked up some info and it appears only Portuguese colonies and independent Brazil were invited to attend.  The site also referred to the 1939 NYWF AS A “trade fair.”

I've seen the 1964-65 New York World's Fair referred to as a "trade fair" but never the 1939-40 Fair.  Since the 1939 season of the Fair was recognized by the BIE, I think someone didn't do their homework before writing this article.

I posted the above comment on the wrong thread so I’ve tried to recreate it in the Lisbon fair thread.

I must have been really tired or something.