Sign in to follow this  
waynebretl

Short piece on Jane Jacobs and Robert Moses

For a while, I wanted to be a city planner. Moses and the World's Fair got me on that path, but my shining light was (and is) Jane Jacobs! And , once I got wind of his other city development projects, especially the Lower Manhattan Expressway (reading about Jane Jacob's opposition to it is what introduced her to me) and his Bronx projects,  I had to reassess my opinion of him, as one assesses an Uncle who one loves and who has done a lot of great things for you  - but find out he wasn't so great on other things - You still love him for what he did for you, but.....

I became an acolyte of Jane Jacobs by 8th grade. In 9th grade, I did my one required huge book  research project in English class on her great "The Death and Life of Great American Cities". (I'm amazed my teacher let me do non-fiction, but he also knew of my passion for architecture and planning.)  In my first year of law school, the college's social sciences school had a Jane Jacobs weekend, with her in attendance. I did the unthinkable (and unforgivable in certain circles) of skipping a full day of Friday law classes to hear her speak and spending Sat and Sun. at the symposium, eating up her words and listening to panels on her work and NOT studying Civ Pro. Even for non-city planning types, she is someone to know and remember for her dedication and vision.

Her NYC apt was right down from the White Horse Tavern of Dylan Thomas fame. When she died her former doorstep was full of flowers and tributes. Your wish for her to be remembered was fulfilled.