Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Say goodnight to the Fair

Heading home from a night at the World's Fair but there are still two shots left on the last roll of film, so time for a shot of the Long Island Rail Road station and then the train yard for the #7 Subway. Taken June 4, 1964. Newly restored 35mm slides.

At the LIRR platform it says "Deposit Token" on the express train signage. Now you know where those LIRR tokens that still show up were used!

lirr-station-night.jpg

subway-yard-night.jpg

1 hour ago, speedwell said:

I wonder if those lights on the platform in the first picture used the same square fluorescent elements as the luminaries,

Good question!

I so clearly remember standing on the train platform and looking back over the Fair.  It was early September of 1965 and it was a warm, late summer evening. The Fair glittered with such color that it has forever remained in my memory.  I knew I would never see it again and I kept looking until our train arrived.  I did not know the meaning of the word, ephemeral, in 1965 but I understood the concept and that I had spent two days at the event of a lifetime.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, speedwell said:

I wonder if those lights on the platform in the first picture used the same square fluorescent elements as the luminaries,

They did. See Light Magazine posted in the following thread:

http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/topic/17333-lighting-at-the-fair/?tab=comments#comment-121336

• Thanks 1