Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

World's Fair DVD

As I type this I'm watching the DVD of the 1996 special on the Fair produced by Connecticut Public Television. Some great views and footage!

A few thoughts:

1) They picked some people who didn't seem to have much positive to say, like Marc Miller. Critics with 20-20 hindsight are all too plentiful. Sure, the Fair wasn't perfect, but what is? As I've said before, knock Robert Moses all you want, but I defy anyone to ever get something like this built again. Whatever warts the Fair had, he and his team did a GREAT job.

2) The film makers picked a bunch of unknown people talking about the Fair. I think I'm going to vastly prefer the BBQ Productions version, with interviews of those who designed and built the Fair.

3) Judd Hirsch was a great narrator for this show!

4) I WANT A TIME MACHINE

Anyway, it's a great DVD. Image Entertainment, 52 minutes.

Oh - gotta go - they're talking about Belgian Waffles!!

Boy, that surprises me, Bill!

I've not watched that documentary in several years, but I'm astounded that Dr. Miller came off as negative. Especially considering all the great shows he's put on about the Fair!!

Maybe they needed a devil's advocate, and he was elected to repeat the critic's laments.

Like everyone else on this board, I'm looking forward to the BBQ Production WF show, but this 1996 production has a lot to recommend it. It's true that there's not much from the designers of the fair, but it has a lot of good period footage, and most importantly, some excellent screen time with people who went to the fair again and again and who eloquently express many of the feelings for it that we all have.

I enjoyed this DVD very much. It has some great fair footage and I love the groovy Doors-like soundtrack music!! I think the personal recollections only enhance the whole story of the fair, as all of our stories on this message board do as well.

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth Klug (edited 01-08-2001).]