Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

A view of the Astronomer by Carl Milles

I learn something new EVERYtime you post things Bill.  Really, you need to stop doing that.

This guy founded the way modern drummers work!

Gene Krupa wiki page

In the 1930s, Krupa became the first endorser of Slingerland drums. At Krupa's urging, Slingerland developed tom-toms with tuneable top and bottom heads, which immediately became important elements of virtually every drummer's setup. Krupa developed and popularized many of the cymbal techniques that became standard. His collaboration with Avedis Zildjian developed the modern hi-hat cymbals and standardized the names and uses of the ride cymbal, crash cymbal and splash cymbal. He is also credited with helping to formulate the modern drum set, being one of the first jazz drummers to use a bass drum in a recording session (December 1927).[12] One of his bass drums, a Slingerland 14 X 26, inscribed with Benny Goodman's and Krupa's initials, is preserved at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.[13]

• Like 1

Lovely Bill, and with the graceful end on the Helicline. This is 1939 - in 1949 there was another sign telling people not to UP the Helicline LOL. Also no Information or Greyhound booth in the middle of the Great Compass.

Beautiful photograph; it is impressive how the Astronomer is framed by the theme center. 

Hi Bill,

What size is the negative? It's impressive how much of the Perisphere is included from an apparently close vantage point.

Has anyone attempted to demark the footprint of the Trylon and Perisphere?  If I remember correctly, the Unisphere sits on the Perisphere's spot, but where would the Trylon and Helicline be?

1 hour ago, George J Fogel said:

Has anyone attempted to demark the footprint of the Trylon and Perisphere?  If I remember correctly, the Unisphere sits on the Perisphere's spot, but where would the Trylon and Helicline be?

Look here:

I think there is a very old thread that maps the footprint of the 1939 Theme Center with a superimposed 1964 Theme Center.  I remember the thread but it must be ten or more years ago.   

I really like this pre-opening view.  The Perisphere is still enclosed in scaffolding and the geometry of the entire fair grounds is so fresh and wonderful.

Couldn't find a footprint, but here's a visitor's-eye view:

Thanks for the reference to that old thread.  I can also see where the Trylon was sited. 

I'm planning to revisit FMCP for the first time in 10 years or so and am really looking forward to walking on "hallowed ground" again.

Re that poster:

Eddy Duchin was no slouch himself. He was a popular NYC bandleader. Son Peter also had a band and ran w the high society, pinkys up, crowd and was basically a prototype pre-2016 Trump.

On 11/21/2019 at 8:09 AM, waynebretl said:

Hi Bill,

What size is the negative? It's impressive how much of the Perisphere is included from an apparently close vantage point.

Not sure - I scanned it about 3 years ago and finally cleaned it up. The negative is filed away and I'll look for it after the holidays, have family in town.