xl5er

Normandie Bow Photo

Never saw a bow like this! Is that permanent or temporary catwalk? No other info on pic. Eric?

73BE3E8F-54A9-45CD-8E1A-1AF654D65D33.thumb.jpeg.68b6618270dce31167f91761bd472a20.jpeg

• Like 1

Just watched a documentary on YouTube aobut the Normandie and Queen Mary. The catwalk seems to be there in a short clip (at 39:11) during a segment about refitting the propellers in 1937, but there is no indication whether the clip actually is from that date.

The film also mentions that the bow was a revolutionary design for speed, whereas the Queen Mary's bow was an older style.

Hello,

The design of this bow was so incredibly revolutionary - and I am seeing this "catwalk" or flying docking bridge in early photos - my guess is it was retractable. The book Normandie by late old friend John Maxtone-Graham should cover this in detail. The research I did for that book was totally unrelated (the blasting of Fishguard Harbor)  so I can't actually say.

Best wishes,

Eric :-)

PS - being thin, against white and usually photographed from a distance I think the "catwalk" just doesn't show up - it is there when she was burning in NY Piers which my Dad saw in 1944 and many other images once you look for it. Well spotted. :)

Thanks Eric!

That is one slick bow design. The reverse sweep on top looks like a cow catcher.