Sign in to follow this  
Eric Paddon

WQXR Radio-June 10, 1965 Program on Fair

From June 10, 1965 the weekly interview program "Observation Point" on WQXR (known primarily as the city's classical music station) hosted by Duncan MacDonald discusses the Fair.    There's a brief interview with Princess Christina of Sweden during her Fair visit and also interviews with Carl Fox - art curator for People to People's World Fiesta, Joseph Curan - manager of the Swedish Sky Ride, and Martin Stone - director of the industrial section of the World's Fair.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/interviews-from-attendees-at-the-1965-worlds-fair/

This can't be downloaded direct but it can be recorded through live stream playback.

I wonder what those bells were at about 15:39 in.

NPR still sounds like NPR.

I searched for a bio of Duncan MacDonald but was unsuccessful. 

4 hours ago, sunguar said:

I wonder what those bells were at about 15:39 in.

NPR still sounds like NPR.

If they were near IBM as described, the bells probably were the Coca Cola Carillon.

There was no NPR in 1965.

What a wonderful discovery. It its a true piece of history.  It surprises me that Duncan  MacDonald appears to be unaware of basic Fair information.  She does not know hours of operation, when fireworks were displayed and even questioned whether the towers at NYS were observation platforms.  And it's interesting these interviews took place in June of 1965.  By then the Fair's fate was sealed.  It needed all of positive publicity it could get in 1964.  WINS became all news in April of 1964 but WCBS did not adopt the all news format until 1967.  WQXR was a classical music station so the idea of regular and thorough radio reporting on the  Fair and its daily events was not common. 

I'm not certain how to quite say this but Duncan MacDonald had a quality that conveyed the urban, elite, elegant side of life in NYC in the 1960s. Her interviews included musicians, politicians, artists, architects, inventors.  In fact, she interviews Buckminster Fuller at the time of his creation of the USA Dome at Expo 67.  She catered to an interested, educated and somewhat elite audience.  I can picture her lunching at The Russian Tea Room, Dining at 21 and enjoying cocktails at the Top of The Fair. Her work would have made a good segway into what would become WNYC, New York's NPR station.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, waynebretl said:

If they were near IBM as described, the bells probably were the Coca Cola Carillon.

That was my first thought, but it is unusually brief.

BTW, the typo "Swedish Sky Ride" was the error on the WNYC site since I was pasting from there.    I should have corrected it for them!

The WNYC site also has posted in the past the 1967 ceremonies of Robert Moses rededicating the park area after demolition and clean-up was concluded.

I have often wondered about a comment I stumbled over inn this interview.  I think Joseph Curan states that there will not be another fair like the NYWF "at least in our lifetime."  

I've never quite known what to make of this sort of comment.  Life magazines made the same statement  although three hundred miles north another exposition was rising in Montreal.  In 1965, nobody really expected Expo to be the incredible success became.  

More likely. Mr. Curan was speaking of the future of world's fairs in the US and/or the lavish spending by the corporate world.  The 1965 NYWF was already a financial disaster as he spoke and that would frighten future fair plans in US cities.  Maybe he was correct but he did not envision future fairs with far more international flavor in Canada, Japan, China or anywhere else.  

Perhaps nobody did.

Sounds more like "see it while it's still here" sort of hype to me.

I was trying to piece together what I heard in her accent. Texas is definitely part of it (partially reminds me of Lady Bird Johnson), but there seem to be other influences too, maybe bits of the "mid-Atlantic" accent that was taught in elite New York circles and to 1940s movie actors. 

She mentions Radcliffe. I suspect that influenced her accent if she indeed was a student there.