Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

The Expo Express station at Habitat '67

Hi Bill,

Once again a great photo to rekindle memories. I remember entering the main entrance, and walking to that station with my dad. It might be of interest, there was a sci fi film with Paul Newman called "Quintet", which takes place in a future ice age world. Filmed in Montreal during the winter time, we are treated to some snow covered pavilions acting as the futuristic city. We also see an Expo Express car poking out of the ice. I believe it was shot in early to mid 70`s. Not a great film, but fun to see for the scenes I mentioned.

I've never heard of Quintet so I looked for it and the entire film is on You Tube.  It sort of stinks.  However (and you have to be a world's fair freak to even do this), I believe I located three scenes where Expo 67 remnants are recognizable, at least to a degree.  

The first scene is about 47.04 minutes into the movie.  There is a clear shot of an Expo telephone booth with the push button telephone and the plexiglass umbrella over it.  This was easy to spot partly because it's so random.

The next two I think I spotted are at 1.15.38 and at 1.28.58.  It is some sort of frozen gathering place but if one closely looks, I believe the framework of the USA dome can be seen in the background.  And there are several other scenes where the actors walk up and down on what appears to have once been working escalators and I thought that they might be inside the hulk of the burned pavilion.

Otherwise, the movie is bizarre and completely without nuance.

A lot of it was shot in the former France pavilion. The director took some glass artwork panels home afterwards and had them built into his apartment in NY, so at least some of the original decor is out there.