Sign in to follow this  
xl5er

Stegosaurus Sighting

Dinosaurs have been much revisited since I was a lad; mostly the heads, the coloration, and the presence of feathers. Basic shapes are the same but more species have been revealed.

Besides all the old school mini-brontosaurs I see guarding Sinclair stations now that I live in the Mountain West, I discovered a familiar friend on my recent month long camping trip wielding my new Lifetime Senior National Park Pass. 

Can’t say I remember that as the original paint job as sign says. 

BE217083-AF2C-4DD6-AED1-1C3C41D0136B.thumb.jpeg.6e1083a9775c4b981081a2c77bf3594b.jpegB9915BE1-22F3-4728-ADEB-3E809DC50F76.thumb.jpeg.72d794fd6548c6d4298f19dbb6665106.jpeg 

Dinosaur National Monument is a great stop. There are two parts. A 30 mile drive through beautiful rugged scenery to an overlook of the Green River. And a museum sheltering an exposed vertical outcrop dig of multitudes of dino bones. Nearby Vernal has dino attractions as well. Sorry, no cloning. Yet. 

Paleo-PTUers may be interested that current dino era research is focused on smaller plants and animals. Apparently the big boys are understood well enough to devote resources to less imposing but more interesting life in those same strata.

...actually that’s a 30 mile drive through beautiful rugged scenery to A TRAILHEAD that leads to a one mile hike to the overlook.

Ranger told me it was only a 70’ elevation change and encouraged me to go. Haha, funny guy! My Garmin Montana GPS told me it was indeed only a 70’ change, but that you make it TEN TIMES. 

What a great find and many thanks for sharing.  Also, I had no idea there was a senior citizen National Park pass.  I have to look into that.

Not kidding when I say the lifetime Senior Pass was the last straw convincing me to sell my Miami house of 30 years and move to Utah. 

When you turn 62 you are eligible to pay $80 and get a credit card sized pass that allows free admission to all National Parks and National Monuments, and 50% discounts at campgrounds and other in-park facilities. With entrance fees of $35 for some high value parks, that card pays for itself quickly. Some local venues may also give you a price break with the card. 

I got mine in person at Big Bend NP as I was driving west, but I’m sure they’re offered online. Annual and other levels of pass are available. 

Great information.  Thank you for sharing this with us.  You are living in a beautiful part of the world.