xl5er

US Pavilion on Fire Photo

I've seen this before but I'm glad you posted it  What a terrible scene and what a loss it was.  I sometimes thought that either the city or provincial governments might have considered fully restoring the dome for the 50th anniversary, but that never came to pass.

I'm wondering if I can make out a little portion of the Autostade in the upper left.  It's a very grainy photo but the stadium stood until later in that decade till it was bulldozed into a parking lot. .   I also believe I can discern one of the NYS pavilion towers the lower right corner of the photo.

I spent two days at the Montreal summer games just a few weeks after that epic fire..  Following the debacle of Munich in 1972, I don't recall any serious security presence during the Montreal games or in the city or on the crowded Expo Islands.  But that was the final time I rode the mini rail.  We climbed aboard on Ile Ste. Helene but were allowed to complete the original Expo tour right through the futuristic ghost town of Ile Notre Dame.  There was a sadness to the place.