Sign in to follow this  
Bill Young

Japanese Television Production Co. Seeks Space Park pictures

Yesterday, I received the following email from Geri Walker of NTVI, a Japanese TV Production Company with an office in New York. They are going to be covering the next Shuttle launch from the Hall of Science and would like to do a brief 3-minute spot on the US Space Park. She is looking for pictures of the Space Park as it appeared at the Fair in 1964/1965. Here is a copy of her note:

Dear MR. Young,

I am working for a Japanese television production company called NTV International in New York. We produce a live morning news program for air in Japan called "Zoom In Asa". In the next couple of weeks, to cooincide with the shuttle launch, we will be broadcasting live from the Hall of Science in Queens. We are lloking for images of the rockets there, as they looked in 1964-65 World's Fair.

Unfortunately the museum does not have many photographs of the rockets specifically. I am extremely hopeful that you will have a resource for me to find photographs or home made film footage of which we may include a few seconds in our broadcast to Japan for historical reference.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me a call @ (212) 603-4864 or e mail me at mailto:production@ntvic.com if you have any ideas.

Thank you for your time and consideration of this request.

Sincerely yours,

Geri Walker

I told Ms. Walker that I would post her request to the BB today in hopes that someone can help her out. I will be sending her some post card scans and a few of the official publication pictures I have. If anyone has personal photos or obscure photos you'd like to contribute, please contact Ms. Walker directly.

Bill

nywf64.com

Bill:

I can't believe the Hall of Science doesn't have any photo's of its facilities during the fair!

An excellent source for these photos would be:

1) NY Public Library--42nd Street Branch (archives)****

2) Public Affairs Office, NYC Parks Department, FMCP **

3) Mike Pender at WFCS, Sarastota, Florida ****

These is at least a start.

Charles, the story I heard recently is that the Hall of Science didn't own the US Space Park until after 1980 -- although they tried. It belonged to NASA until they turned it over to the city or the museum -- don't know which.

I'm not surprised that HoS doesn't have pics, regardless. Even the Queens Museum, after they had acquired a collection, decided to de-acquire it when their focus shifted to art over nostalgia. Seems that a lot of that park has gone unnoticed by people you think would have cared over the years. You should know that better than most!

The suggestions for sources are great! I'll pass them on to Ms. Walker.

Bill

Bill,

I have an aerial publicity photo of that area of the fair that clearly shows the space park and the hall of science (still under construction)as well as ford being prominently shown and a good chuck of the rest of the fair behind it. Even though its not a closeup of the space park it is easily seen in the photo. I don't know if that will help but it was the best I could find in my collection. If you like I can scan it and e-mail it to you for forwarding to the tv people. Let me know.

P.S. I do have over 60 publicity shots of many of the major pavilions at the fair (both aerial as well as ground shots). If they would help you with future feature spots on the web site let me know what your looking for and i can scan these as you need them.

The most complete picture is on page 77 in the book Remembering the Future . The photo is credited to a Peter Austin Leavens