Jim

1976 Montreal Gazette editorial

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/history-through-our-eyes/history-through-our-eyes-sept-7-1976-man-and-his-world

The Gazette recently re-printed a September 7, 1976 editorial marking the closure of Man and His World for the season.  It appears that the Gazette had a strong feeling that the experiment to keep Expo 67's  spirit going forward was not doing well.

I hope it is an interesting read.

That was the last summer I was there.  Ile Notre Dame was closed and while the Mini Rail ran through it, the surviving structures were empty and in bad shape.  Many others had been demolished to make room for the rowing basin.  The US pavilion had burned early that summer and was a barren hulk.  By the end of 1976, the handwriting was on the wall and taxpayers were growing weary of keeping Man and His World going especially when it became evident that the summer Olympics and the half completed Olympic Stadium were going to burden taxpayers for decades to come.

Thanks for the post, Jim.  The successor to Expo 67 was not even a good metaphor. A sad incarnation with little in the way of genetic traits from Expo. And by 1976, as I recall it was all about the Olympics. You're right about how it "taxed" everyone's enthusiasm for yet another invasion. When I last inhaled the beauty of Expo 67 was October 2008, it still blew me away. The raggedy ol' Bucky dome left me in tears but I relieved a year of my life as a guide there and couldn't have been more proud of its contribution timproving the environment.

• Like 1

Thank you for your post, Sheri.  I loved your words:  "When I last inhaled the beauty of Expo 67 was October 2008; it still blew me away."

Your post is wonderful.

Best, Jim