Bill Cotter

Trouble makers beware!

Even though this was the first year of the fair's operation, look at the size of those trees.  They're too small to be from 1939, so they must have transplanted some seriously large trees specifically for the 1964 fair..

Considering that the fair was a former ash dump, probably only covered by a shallow layer of topsoil, that might explain their stunted growth.

Twenty-five years isn't much in the life of a tree.  Trees grow at various rates and some top out much shorter than others. I cannot quite tell by the leaves what those trees are but it is evident there has been some pruning at some point. The leaves look somewhat like oak but I'm not certain, but I'd bet they are 1939 trees transplanted there for that fair.

Aerial park photos from the 50's and early 60's show most of these trees were already around the old central fountains from the 39/40 fair, but fuller than in this photo. The Fair Corporation spent considerable sums (in the millions) on landscaping that included new trees where needed, moving existing trees and pruning of existing trees. The Fair Corporation also went to great lengths to ascertain the value of the existing trees when deciding to either remove a tree versus moving it to another location.

Those trees (in the photo) have been pruned.  There is virtually no growth and no branches on the lower part of the crowns of these trees.  If they had not been pruned, there would be no view at all--especially in this photo.