Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Yves Jasmine Tribute

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/appreciation-in-1967-yves-jasmin-made-montreal-go-viral

This is a  Montreal Gazette tribute to Yves Jasmin, the head of public relations for Expo 67.   He died last month at the age of 97.  Among his contributions was the remarkable full page advertisement in Life and Look magazines that depicted the USSR pavilion with the caption: "Look what the Russians are building forty miles from the USA.  As an American you should look into it."

The Gazette praises Mr Jasmin's "efforts and work ethic" for the stunning success of Expo 67.  He had hoped Expo might attract thirty million people.  Because of Mr Jasmin's creativity, however, "Expo's turnstiles clicked over fifty million times."

Thank you very much for telling us of Mr. Jasmine's death.  He was a very nice man.  Very instrumental in  EXPO 67 success.

Annabelle, his obituary glows with praise for his work and his character.  It sounds like you had the opportunity to know him.  Do you have any particular memories?  He lived to see Expo's 50th anniversary and was properly honored for his dedication to Expo and to Montreal.

Dear Jim:  Thanks so much for your reply.  I never met Mr. Jasmin or Mr. Drapeau in person.  We corresponded by mail.  At that time I was taking groups to the Catholic Shrines in Quebec.  Both men were extremely kind and helpful.

Those shrines are such a wonderful part of Quebec heritage.  I'm thinking of St. Joseph Oratory and St. Anne de Beaupre in particular.  And for over fifty years I've felt that Notre Dame de Montreal is one of the most beautiful  human creations I've ever seen.  That ethereal blue surrounding the main altar always takes my breath away.  Thanks, Annabelle.  I think it's wonderful you were able to correspond with such remarkable men.

Jim