Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

A rare peek inside Austria

Sometimes (often) I question why I keep buying more slides from the Fair as I have 20,000+ of them. So many are the same views all of took as tourists. Every now and then, though, up pops a view of someplace unusual. Here's one, the restaurant inside the Austria pavilion. I doubt if we ever ate there, as it was out of my budget range, and if we did I probably wouldn't have "wasted" a shot of it back then. Happily new stuff does continue to surface, This was an Ektachrome, for those keeping track, from October 1964, newly restored. I probably bought it 5-6 years ago and finally got to that box; so much more waiting!

austria-restaurant.jpg

I'm sure I never went ther either. The 7-Up pavilion was the ultimate for me.

1 hour ago, waynebretl said:

I'm sure I never went ther either. The 7-Up pavilion was the ultimate for me.

You were a high roller compared to us! We often brought sandwiches from home. Zero complaints, loved every minute of it.

My mother was Austrian and couldn't wait to go into that pavilion.  

She said she was pleased but I've often thought she was really a bit disappointed.  It was basically a large gift shop and this restaurant.  It was lacking in actual exhibits.  There was little to truly remind her of her heritage other than rather silly gifts.  And as I recall, she didn't even buy anything from the gift/souvenir area.

Here's a view inside the exhibit area. Sadly most of the international pavilions were built by industries and not the governments, so precious little there as to culture.

austria-interior.jpg