Bill Cotter

Got some time to kill?

A view of "Progresslane", the waiting area added in 1965 for the General Electric pavilion. It looks like the whole area was completely filled, a real testament as to how popular this Disney show was. Newly restored 35mm slide from my collection.

ge-waiting-65-3.jpg

A tremendous win-win for GE and Disney, for sure.

Probably the best thing about the Better Living Center was providing the vantage point for this shot. 

Yeah, that was about it. Except for the Culligan display and the tube of cash. Otherwise I barely remember anything inside other than thinking it was El Cheapo.

I love the CoP and see it every time I'm at Disney World, but I don't think I'd have waited that long for it.

My family waited for quite a few pavilion attractions and this was one of therm.  I agree some, today, might not elect to wait for an attraction like this, but in 1965, we sure did.  

It wasn't even open for discussion.  GE was a highly regarded company and its pavilion won all sorts of praise, if not from official critics, it did come from the millions of regular folks who visited the Fair.

And the GE presentation was novel and remarkably creative for 1965.  We didn't have personal computers  and most didn't even have color television yet.  So a demonstration like the Carousel of Progress where the audience moved around the presentation which used robotic creations that seemed so life like was a wonder of that era.  

The entire Fair was filled with such wonders and it was our great good fortune that we all stood in long lines and waited to get in.  Those lines were a testament to the marvels inside and they have allowed me a lifetime of happy memories.

• Like 2

It' funny. I was six years old when I went I very clearly remember the attractions but I have no memory of waiting in lines.

I was 21, but likewise do not remember the waits, even though I must have been in them. 

I wonder if GE was using the now common trick of posting wait times longer than actual along the queue, so that everyone felt they were making better than usual time?

5 hours ago, Ragaje said:

It' funny. I was six years old when I went I very clearly remember the attractions but I have no memory of waiting in lines.

3 hours ago, waynebretl said:

I was 21, but likewise do not remember the waits, even though I must have been in them. 

I too, remember all the big attractions at the Fair, but I never remember waiting in long lines.  Maybe it was the time of the year we went. 

I think (as a youth) I would have been disappointed if I spent most of the day waiting in line.  I guess the low attendance of the Fair had its side benefits.  

At least the GE waiting area was done tastefully at the NYWF. Similar canopies were added to Shanghai's Expo 2010, as the oppressive summer heat closed-in, but were very unsightly and blocked views of the pavilions. Trying to get decent photos of otherwise attractive pavilions was extremely challenging....

IndiaPavilionFromElevatedWalkway.JPG

FrancePavilion2.JPG

LatviaPavilionFromElevatedWalkway.JPG

RomaniaPavilion.JPG

UnitedKingdomPavilionFromNetherlandsPavilion2.JPG

KoreaPavilion.JPG

As I remember back almost fifty five years I recall waiting in lines at Johnson's Wax (the film, "To Be Alive," was on everyone's list), GE (for reasons stated above), Bell Telephone. Vatican, GM and Ford.  I believe we even stood in line at The Schaefer Center.  

I remember my mother spent several weeks prior to our trip talking to friends who had visited the Fair.  She even brought along a list of pavilions her many friends said were a "must see," and it was annotated with stars (four meant don't think of returning home without seeing it and one meant that the exhibit wasn't much but it might offer a cold beer, a good meal, or unique souvenirs).  

Anything below a one was relegated to the "you can see that schlock at the New York State Fair for crying out loud." 

And that included every ride at the Fair except the Swiss Sky ride and the Uniroyal Tire Ferris Wheel.  And she stuck to that list with a great deal of pride and she only veered off of it when she discovered there was an  Austrian pavilion (she was Austrian) and when my Dad located the bar in the Ireland pavilion.  

He was Irish.

OK, in truth, they veered off the list one more Time when we passed Lowenbrau Gardens on a hot afternoon.

Hi guys, long time no visit!  Yep, I remember waiting at Johnson's Wax, Ford, GM and Bell.  I assume we must have waited at Small World, too, and probably at the skyride.

We went to the fair the first or second week of both seasons during New Hampshire April school vacation.  I think it was opening week both years.  It was rainy one of the years.

Jeeezzzz, how do I become a life member like Jim?  Wow!

Speaking of GE--

There was a brief nod to the Carousel of Progress in Disney's latest live-action movie "Dumbo" where they stop in an auto animatronic display featuring a kitchen of the future.

In fact, part of the movie is a nod to Theme Parks and World's Fairs of the past:

dreamland.thumb.jpg.ca74a573600a50f5ced10c64bcdc3863.jpg

One of the Pavilions in Dreamland is Wonders of Science, where the auto animatronic display is located.

dreamland2.thumb.jpg.a846add7af4e4f916612409a4752d0a0.jpg

Strangely, the owner of this Theme Park/Fair (a kind of Walt Disney character) is displayed in a negative light.  This is surprising, seeing the film was made by Disney.

Doug, I think you just have to live long enough to be older than dirt.  Or you have to have been the first visitor through the turnstiles at the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.  Or which ever comes first.  Then you're a lifer.

Jim