xl5er

Dreyfus Hudson and Trylon and Perisphere

Copied from Twitter...

One of the legendary "Dreyfuss Hudsons" (J-3a), which powered the original version of New York Central's streamlined "20th Century Limited." The locomotive is seen here on display at the New York World's Fair in 1939. Photo colorized by Patty Allison.

Tweeted by:

https://www.american-rails.com/

501EB0D5-1F87-4E86-B97F-DA73EC9D10FE.thumb.jpeg.7b3494666d20bd001368e50e004dd98e.jpeg

• Like 1

I gotta give props to the photographer, this shot is nicely framed.

I wish those locomotives were still with us.  Rail travel must have been so wonderful and the Dreyfuss Hudson Empire State Express was a crown jewel in the New York Central System.  

In 1939 railroads still had a future but twenty years later they were struggling to survive including the once mighty New York Central System.

And if that photograph is not an image of 1939's view of tomorrow, I don't know what is.

Erik! Haven’t seen you around in a while. Was hoping a “stick and ball” ‘39 fan such as yourself would see this pic. I know nothing more about pic. Does look familiar though. Maybe I saw the original.

I’m not a knowledgeable photo collector but it seems that “colorization” has come a long way since the controversial days of Turner colorizing old black and white movies. In fact there’s a woman now gaining kudos on Twitter for lovingly and believably colorizing 19th century stills. Sorry, don’t remember her name.