Sign in to follow this  
Doug Peterson

Where Are We All???

Just out of curiosity, where in the world (or at least the U. S.) are we all from here? After all, 35 years have passed since the closing of the Fair, and most of us have probably scattered about the country a bit.

I'll start.

I was 12 or 13 throughout most of the Fair's run, living first in Garden City Park, and later, Bellmore.

I'm now 48 (ugh!), married, and living in Rancho Cucamonga, California. Yes, Virginia, there IS a Cucamonga.

Your turn now.

-- Doug Peterson --

I had a CB radio sales & service business in Farmington Connecticut during the time of the NYWF. My major radio product line was "COURIER" manufactured in White Plains NY. Each Friday I drove to the factory to pick up more radios for my customers. On one trip in early May '64, I decided to drive down to Flushing Meadows area just to get a drive by glance at what The Fair looked like from the expressways around the fairgrounds. It was an overwhelming view. I decided to find mt way into the parking lot south of the Amusement Area. Once inside the gate, I felt like I'd entered the Emerald City. My first visit to the Vatican Pavilion was the most outstanding visual experience of my life up to that time. The Pieta and its setting was an unforgettable spine tingling experience. I made many trips to The Fair in the two year run, recording events on audio tape as I went through each pavilion. I now live in Pasadena California, on property that was once part of the Original Busch Gardens (circa 1906). Please visit my website for a tour of the Gardens.

<http://www.home.earthlink.com/~draydar>

Well, that makes three of us so far in Southern California! I was so impressed by the Fair that after college I went to work for Disney - those countless trips on the Carousel of Progress had imprinted themselves quite well. Disney moved me out here to Los Angeles, for which I am eternally grateful. Most of my Disney work was dull and boring stuff, but I did get a chance to do some work on EPCOT, so things went full circle.

Any of the other California group up for a local meeting?

OK, time for the East Coast. I lived in NJ at the time and am now on Long Island. I was 13-14 at the time which puts me at 50 now. (Groan.)I have a love for architecture and photography. The buildings kept drawing me there. I only wish I was into the camera work at the time. Fortunately I get to pass the Park 5 days a week as I work for Delta Airlines at that swamp named LaGuardia Airport.

I still do feel, however, that 39/40 was a much more beautiful Fair visually.

Another East Coaster - I lived in the Bronx at the time of the fair. I was 6 and 7 years old during the fair. A handful of years later, my family moved to the Hudson Valley and I still live in the New York Metro Area. Just to save you all from doing the math - I am about to turn 42 at the end of September!!

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth Klug (edited 09-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth Klug (edited 09-14-2000).]

And here we are in the Midwest! I live in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, just a short 150 miles from my even smaller hometown of Wisconsin Rapids. Sheboygan is in east-central Wisconsin located along the western shores of Lake Michigan, about 55 miles north of Milwaukee or 170 miles north of Chicago.

I'll never be a part of your great Fair-going experiences as I never went to the Fair -- a trait I share with at least two other of our enthusiasts -- Marc Williams, my partner in this project and Curtis Cates of BBQ Productions. Just goes to show you that the Fair had a big impact on many in our generation -- not just those of you fortunate enough to have gone.

I was 8/9 at the time which means I'm pushing 45 pretty hard! Since I live in the middle, if any of you are making an east/west trek, stop in and I'll show you nywf64.com's "Command Central" -- in reality, a closet in our Guest Bedroom. Ahh, the illusion of reality that is the Internet.

I plan to make the trip east next summer to the Adria Hotel Collectibles Show in Queens and hope to meet many of you while there. As I've mentioned to others, I've been interested in the Fair since I was 15 and it is so wonderful for me to have found people who a) know what I'm talking about when I say the word Unisphere smile.gif care smile.gif c) don't ask "How'd you ever get into something so weird??? biggrin.gif I'm sure the total joy I feel about this will be even greater when I get to meet you all in June 2001!

Bill Young

nywf64.com

[This message has been edited by Bill Young (edited 09-14-2000).]

This is Bruce; I was 13 1/2 years old when the fair opened. I lived less then a mile from the Amusement Area on the Hawaii side. After the fair closed, I moved to Glen Cove Long Island, Chicago, San Francisco, Midtown Manhattan, Greenwich Village, San Francisco and Harlem. I now own a (a tiny) home in the historic district of beautiful downtown Jersey City, NJ. I am one hour from Flushing Meadows-Corona Park by subway. I have earned my living mostly through the years in the exhibit industry, designing, building and installing exhibits. I have also worked under the 'big top' for the circus and at another job surrounded myself with tons of chocolate.

Hi everyone!

Here I am in the low-desert area of Scottsdale, Arizona where my wife, kids, and self reside. Today we are baking bread in my car (temp 170 degrees), frying eggs on the sidewalk, and watching birds drop dead from heat exhaustion!!

All kidding aside, as a kid I was born a raised in Manhattan (Morningside Heights) and eventually relocated to Flushing as a teenager. I was 9 years old during the fair and attend it several times.

I lived in Flushing until the early 1980's, relocated to New Jersey for awhile, until someone told me to go "west." I finished my education out here, met my wife, and the rest is history.

What do for a living? I'll have you guess for awhile!!!

I enjoy this website for its educational value along with preserving the past.

Fredrick Gilmore here....I was born in Brooklyn, and raised in Queens. I relocated to Portland, Oregon in 1996. I own a recruiting firm as well as being a part time contract recruiter for one of the big heavy hitters in "The Silicon Forest". Growing up fifteen minutes from the Fairgrounds gave me the opportunity (like most of you) to visit the Fair many times, witness the demolition and gradual deterioration of the site. If all goes well, I'd would like to meet everybody next spring at the Adria for a couple of Unispheres (shaken not stirred).

I missed the Fair by six years. I was born near Portland, Oregon in 1971. Too late to attend.

So why do I spend so much time on something like the NYWF. In my opinion it was the last Great American Fair. I think it should be remembered and celebrated.

Back to where I am now. I moved to San Jose, CA in 1997 and moved again to Ann Arbor, MI in 1999 where I'm a webmaster for a small research company. I spend most of my off hours working on web sites as well. Now that's crazy!

Hi everybody! Great new board! I'm an east-coaster too! I was 8 and 9 years old at the time of the Fair in 64-65 and lived in Ridgewood, NJ. I now live in Danbury CT and have been trying to get time to go over to Flushing Meadow for what seems like years but the timing is never right and not overly confident about getting there. I have very warm memories of my 5 visits there. My Dad just loved it! It will be quite something for me when I do make it over there - my goal is this Fall sometime. I hope we can all meet at some point - it's pretty cool to see that so many people enjoy the Fair as I do! I am super psyched right now as I just got word that I won the US Royal Tires toy ferris wheel! Anyway, depending on the date of the June show - I will certainly do everything I can to get over there and meet everybody!

Rick

I grew up in Bergen County, NJ. But I was born in Jersey City and now reside in Orange County, NY.

I never actually went to the fair when it was open. Only a few times before it opened. My father was "The Bamboo Man". He ran a very popular business in the 60's and supplied the bamboo plants to some of the WF Pavilions. I remember going to the site and running around days before the opening. What a big tease for a kid.

Since I am one of 8 kids my Mom was not about to take us to the fair & try to keep track. My sister Kathleen did go & brought me back a Sinclair Dino which my brother Brendan promptly decapitated. (he paid dearly for that mistake).

I am now 46, single and enjoying the WF, my Harley and my 5 dogs. Who says you can't stay a kid forever.

Hey Hoodlock are you in Paulis Hook? I work in Hoboken.

Where do you work in Hoboken, Mary Ellen? That's where I live.

One of my earliestand most treasured memories (age 4) is going to the fair with my father. We lived in Stuyvesant Town then, but moved to Cambridge, Mass. in 1966. Back in New York in the 80's, I attended the big Anniversary show in Queens in 1989 and was blown away by the memories it stirred up in me. It's been a consuming passion ever since.

I am in my mid 40's, and living in West Chester, PA (30 miles from Philly). I work in Wilmington, DE (only 17 miles away) as a Bank IT auditor.

Since 1964, I have turned into a real World's Fair junkie of sorts. I spent 4 days at that magical place called Flushing Meadow. Then, a day (WAY TOO SHORT!) at Montreal Expo 67. Since 1967, I spent 2 days at Knoxville Expo 82, 3 days at Vancouver Expo 86 (A real nice Fair!), and 4 days at Seville Expo 92 (A huge fair, with great international participation, but not the atmosphere of fun and excitement we experienced in New York).

I was 12 when I visited the NYWF with my parents and younger sister in September of 1965. My dad was a surgeon in upstate NY and seldom got away, so the trip to the Fair was very meaningful. I remember we stayed at the World's Fair Motel right across from Shea! I am a teacher of high school and college history and English and I have collected Fair memorabilia for years. I even have an enormous (9' x 12') official orange and blue NYWF flag). I also visited Expo 67 on a class trip and loved that Fair, too. I was amazed by Montreal and often return and have found Parc des Iles (the Expo Islands) to be beautiful and a lasting tribute to a great Fair. My master's thesis was on the 1939-40 NYWF, and as much as I loved the 64-65 Fair, I believe the 1939-40 NYWF and Expo 67 were the two watershed expositions of our century. I've lived in Connecticut, Michigan and Maryland but I've returned to upstate NY--near Syracuse. It is a privilege to read the thoughts and comments of so many sincere and knowledgeable Fair enthusiasts. This is an outstanding site.

I sure hope everyone's schedules work out for the show and fairgrounds tour next year - that will be a blast! I love checking into the board and NYWF64 whenever I get the chance! Keep it up everybody! Hey Mary Ellen - I won that Greyhound guide jacket on Ebay this weekend so I'm ready to drive one of those Glide-A-Rides!(Ha-Ha!) This is indeed fun!

Rick

Congratulations on your jacket Rick. I have not heard back from Erie County Fairgrounds yet in reply to my letter.

Marty do you have a number for them? I will give them a call this week.

Hi Everyone; I grew up in Whitestone (a ride on the Q16 bus to Main Street, Flushing and was 12-13 during the life of the Fair. (Just turned 48 last week; ouch!) I've lost track, but the number of my visits to the Fair during both seasons probably amounted to something in the 35-40 range. My parents gave me just enough money to afford the bus & subway rides (60 cents, to cover round trip on the bus and subway), hot dog, fries and a Coke at the Brass Rail for lunch, 10 cents for an emergency phone call and a child's ticket ($1, pre-purchased). I was far to law abiding to even think of sneaking in...I used to wait around the entrance, and either asked an adult to let me enter with him/her, or simply followed a group of adults with their children. (If memory serves the ticket takers tried to enforce the no-children without accompanying adult rule.)

The Fair was the single most exciting thing that happened in my childhood (I suspect that's true for most of us here). My first almost exposure to it occurred on the Saturday before Opening Day (April 22, 1964, right? so this would have to have been on April 18, 1964) when a friend and I simply walked from Whitestone through Flushing to the area under the Flushing IRT near the subway entrance gate. I had not been that close to the Fair before (only had seen it from a car on the highway) and the excitement was almost uncontainable. I called my father on one of the touch tone phones (another first) and he drove in to pick us up. My first actual visit to the Fair itself was the following Saturday.

Following the close of the Fair I visited both expo 67 (for a solid week; I was in heaven) and the Canadian National Exhibition (the "Ex" is an annual event in Toronto, basically a state fair kind of thing) and thought I would see every new fair after that. Alas, that was not to be, I've missed them all. The closest I've gotten was to visit Ameriflora '92, the BIE-sanctioned flower show held in Columbus, Ohio during the same summer that Expo 92 was held in Seville. (Close, but no cigar.)

Hi All...Been slow at posting but a big hello from San Jose, Ca.

Like Liz, was 6 and 7 when my family and I visited the Fair..We lived upstate in Saugerties NY and ventured out west when my dad was transfered by IBM (I've Been Moved)in my senior year..Needless to say my dad's favorite pavillion was the Egg shaped marvel and he made sure we paid tribute to it each time we visited!

How neat to hear everyones story...Glad to meet you all!

joan

Born/raised/live: Indianapolis

Fair age: 9 & 10

Vocation: Part owner, sheet metal co.

Avocation: NYWF 64-65 Nut

Dad spent the first 15 years of American citizenship in NYC. (From Germany) Aunt & Uncle lived in the Bronx.

So every summer, we would spend a week or two in NYC. (These trips made me a New York-o-phile.)

As far as I can remember, we went to the Fair twice in '64 and once in '65. But that was enough to hook me forever. Really envy the locals who had double-digit visits!!

I visited Ameriflora '92 also....mostly as a consolation for not being able to travel to Expo 92 in Seville. I remember seeing Disney-style topiaries, a film that was also shown that summer in Seville, extensive new greenhouses with various climates and various rather simple national pavilions with representative landscaping.

Also enjoyed visiting a terrific used book store in Columbus, along with dinner at a restaurant in the German Village. Very nice time...

My family lived in Howard Beach while the fair was operating, so I was too young to remember any of what I saw from my stroller. We moved (back) to New Hampshire at the end of 1969, but I've always been fascinated by the fair because of the set of souvenir flashcards I had depicting architectural models and artists' renditions of the pavilions.

I'm 50 now, live in NH still, and scanned the cards for Bill Young's www.nywf64.com.

Here's a link:

http://nywf64.com/educards01.shtml

I hope to see the park in person again someday.

I was 6 months old when the fair opened. My parents lived in Jackson heights at the time on Roosevelt ave off 95th st. In the 4th grade we moved to Flushing until I moved out in 1983. Since then I have lived in Bayside and College Point. In 1995 I moved to Medford (Suffolk county) and from 2002 to present to Mastic (also Suffolk).

I've worked for the NYC Water Dept for the last 29 years. From 1995-2011 I was assigned to Queens which allowed me to see the park often but 3 years ago my yard was shut down and I got got transferred to Brooklyn.

But I'll see you all at the fair on 4/22/14!!!