Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Friends spending time together

It looks like the man on the bench is consoling the trash can.

chrysler-trash-can-4.jpg

"Now, now, don't worry, it will be OK. I'm sure you'll get work after the Fair closes. I hear there are lots of opportunities at Canobie park and at Coney Island."

Newly restored 35mm slide from June 1964 from my collection.

• Like 1

What?  You've never talked to a trash can?

Your post is hilarious, Bill.

They had one at Man and His World in Montreal around 1969 or 1970. It was really fun to watch. It would ask people passing by to feed it and would also roll up and bump people, who had a hard time realizing what was happening as no one else was nearby. I thought it was really clever. Sadly no video cameras back then!

Really?  It rolled over to people and bumped them?  How did it know who was about to liter?  

The thing couldn't possibly have just randomly selected victims.  Otherwise it would be bumping into wheel chairs, people with canes, baby carriages and those coming out of the beer gardens at closing time.  And I have to think that some irritated soul must have picked it up and tossed it into the St. Lawrence.  It strikes me that this is one of those innovations that was never really needed. Sort of like shoe umbrellas, goldfish walkers or kitchen avocado savers.  

So, how did the thing work?

Radio controlled, just like Tik-Tok did at the 64 Fair. A guy sitting on a bench had a small control unit and microphone. He looked like an average visitor until you saw the box with a joystick on his lap. Sort of like a R/C airplane box looks.