Sign in to follow this  
sunguar

A News Story I Thought I'd Be Reading Today

(Please remember that this is from the same mind that visited the 1964-1965 World's Fair as 12 year old and saw not only the bottom of a Saturn V, but also saw this view of the moon from General Motors (fifty-four years ago):

GMMOON.jpg.5bc362471e1f56eb13e2e19a3c2365a5.jpg

(Washington D.C.) July 20 -- The Smithsonian Institute's team is now in place for tonight's primetime live broadcast from the site of the Apollo 11 landing site in the Sea of Tranquility.  The team, affectionally known as "A11", have approached the landing site with extreme care as not to disturb the artifacts or the footprints which have been untouched for fifty years.  The flag, which was toppled over during the liftoff of the LEM ascent stage, will also remain untouched.  "We're just here to photograph and document the site", stated the organizer of the mission.  We may use a LUD (the equivalent of a lunar drone) to fly over for photographs of the LEM, but we won't be coming within 100 feet as we don't want to disturb this historical site.  Therefore, we won't be standing the flag up.  The site will remain untouched".

The mission had been planned for over a year.  Tonight's broadcast can be streamed from the Smithsonian Channel starting at 8 pm EST.

I did spot one Fair related item yesterday and today.  On both days CNN  offered heat wave related weather forecasts and news from in front of the Unisphere.  I saw two broadcasts yesterday and another one this morning (Saturday, July 20).  In all three broadcasts the fountains were on and there were a few people tryin g to get wet in the pool surrounding the Unisphere.