Sign in to follow this  
sunguar

Chasing the Moon: American Experience on PBS

Probably the best six hours of television I have watched in a long time.

• Like 1

The whole NACA to Apollo 17 story is great.  From Astronauts to Mission Controllers who wrote their stories.  

I've felt that I've been able to relate to their stories and lives with my work.

• Like 1

I have it recorded and will be watching it this week.

CBS Sunday Morning had a segment on the landing today, plus  a segment on the women who sewed the space suits, plus a retrospective on Walter Cronkite's coverage. You should be able to find them online.

What I've seen so far is just brilliant.  Fifty years is such a very long time.  PBS is bringing it all back to life.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 12:15 AM, Jim said:

"...Fifty years is such a very long time..."

Not THAT long, JIm! July 16th was my 50th Birthday! LOL :)

It's all relative, I suppose, Eric. 

Sometimes when I consider the flow of history and think of an evident such as Apollo 11, half a century ago, I count back fifty years before that date, in this case, 1969.  

That would be 1919.  It was the year of the Versailles Treaty, Woodrow Wilson's stroke, A.  Mitchell Palmer's Red Scare and Soviet Ark, the birth of the Weimar Republic, the start of the Fascist Party in Italy, a workers' victory with a 48 hour work week in the UK, the first legal Sunday professional baseball game in the US, the Imperial German Naval Fleet scuttled by their own men at Scappa Flow, the first monoplane airliner flight, race riots in Chicago, Wilson's veto of Prohibition is over ridden in the Senate, RCA is created, the Senate rejects the League, the Canadian National Railway is established and President Wilson won the Nobel Peace Prize.  Nobody knew what a vitamin is, women's dresses were ankle length, the idea of a weekend did not yet exist, 
The Big Bulll Market was a phrase nobody would recognize, 55 year old Senator Warren Harding was starting his affair (which would produce a daughter) with 19 year old Nan Britton, the Chrysler Building snd Empire State were still  more than ten years away, nobody was yet buying on credit and the first national advertising campaign for O-Dor-O-No (a deodorant) was still several years away, people still used ice boxes, and a woman who painted her face (especially using rouge) was basically seen as a harlot, cigarettes were just beginning to be mass marketed, and Herbert Hoover, The Great Humanitarian, was still a decade from political vilification when Wilson appointed him to lead US War Relief In Europe.  Films were silent and in monochrome and nobody could have even grasped the idea that in fifty years humans would walk on the moon and safely return to the Earth.  

In the summer of 1969, the Apollo achievement was one of several significant events:  Judy Garland's sudden death at 48, the Tate/LaBianca murders by Charles Manson, Woodstock, Ted Kennedy's accident at Chappaquidick and the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, two computers (the size of tractor trailers) "talk" to each other for the first time, and tens of thousands of high school and college students would strike against the Vietnam War during the nationwide November Moratorium, the riots at Stonewall, the first Vietnam draft lottery was held, Hurricane Camille killed nearly 250 Americans, Wal-Mart is incorporated and the PLO is established, the first ATM is installed and the first smoke detector goes on sale.  A car purchased in 1969 would, today, either be a classic with all of its "ahead of its time" curiosities,  or a rusting hulk in a salvage yard.

Ask a 15 year old if 1969 is recent events or ancient history.  
And none of us can imagine what the world will be like in 2069--fifty years from now--and few of us, will be here to see.  

Time waits for no man.

Sorry this is so lengthy but I got on a roll.

Best, 
Jim

And Happy Birthday!  And I have many years on you.

New York Times animated presentation of the Apollo 11 Hasselblad photos presented in sync with the communications at the moment of shooting,The landing area ones are shown over a 3D outline of the lander and where they were taken with respect to the lander.

Free access without a subscription providing you haven't accessed too many articles in the past month.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/07/18/science/apollo-11-as-they-shot-it-ul.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage§ion=Science

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/07/18/science/apollo-11-moon-landing-photos-ul.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/07/18/science/apollo-11-moon-earth-photos-ul.html

I just noticed that CSPAN is running the entire CBS 1969 coverage.  Tonight they aired an interview with President Johnson by Walter Cronkite.

PS:  Did anyone notice that CNN did several heat wave related weather forecasts, today, from in front of the Unisphere with the fountains splashing?   I saw two early this morning (Friday, July 19).

Not only did I end up watching this a second time, I ended up purchasing the Blu-ray from Amazon.  There are some additional bonus features that I'm anxious to view.

Bill--  Did you order your copy yet? 

2 hours ago, sunguar said:

Bill--  Did you order your copy yet? 

Not yet, got a few things to catch up on first.

5 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

Not yet, got a few things to catch up on first.

PM me your mailing address and I'll gift you one from Amazon. 

Thanks, no need, but appreciated! Let me look for that other photo you wanted and will send it. Been super busy with a wave of LAPD stuff this week, next week is insane!

• Like 1