Sign in to follow this  
Hoodlock

The New York Times side of the story

'Bum Deal,' Says Boy on Line, By William Borders.

Seventeen-year-old Gary Schuster, who waited two days it be the World's Fair's first paying customer, got what he described as "a bum deal" yesterday morning when the main gate opened shortly after 8:30. The high school junior from Orangeburg, N.Y. had been camped at the head of a growing line since Monday morning. But the ticket-takers, apparently unaware of his claim, opened dozens of other turnstiles at the gate before getting to his, and the first person through was actually Leonard Landman, 16, of Plainveiw, L. I., who had been waiting since early Tuesday.

When young Schuster finally did get in, he was perhaps the thousandth of the tens of thousands of children who swarmed into the fair on its opening day, taking advantage of the spring vacations and the warm spring weather.

As hundred, of people all around him streamed into the fairgrounds, a guard told Gary to get in another line at one of the open turnstiles.

'I'm Not Moving'

Apparently irate at being robbed of what he saw as his place in history, he said; "I'm not moving. I've already waited 48 hours and I'll just wait some more"

A large Pinkerton guard suddenly moved in, pushed the boy back about 15 feet and said; "You've just been ejected from the fair! You can't come back!"

The boy, who got no sleep Tuesday night and little the night before, seemed close to tears as he asked, "For how long?"

At that point a Pinkerton captain rushed over, calmed the boy and the guard and led young Schuster to another turnstile, apologizing and telling him that the one at which he had been waiting was broken. Placated, the boy and several friends headed for the Ford Pavilion.

The contest to be first to sneak into the fair ended in a draw, with small boys all over the fairgrounds claiming the title.

Four boys from Brooklyn, who said, "We snuck in 21 times last year and we're gonna do better this year." Reported that they had climbed a fence near Gate No. 2 shortly after dawn and hidden in the bushes until opening time.

Turnstiles Negotiable

But they didn’t have to hide. At the main gate, four boys from Valley Stream, L. I., were lounging around in open view a full hour before the ribbon was cut. They had discovered about dawn that the fair's turnstiles like many others. Can be negotiated easily - if no one is looking - by pulling them half a turn backwards and squeezing through.

Another popular exercise was jumping - into the fair's ubiquitous pools when the walking got too hot, onto the fenders of limousines carrying important visitors, and aboard the back cars of the open-air "Glide-a-Rides," the principal means of transportation.