Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

A pair of interesting hats at the Fair

hats-1.jpg

hats-2.jpg

The contrail is also interesting. At first I thought it was a defect in the negative but the lighter streak cleanly passes behind some objects like the flag and the statue atop the Italy pavilion, so I'm not sure what it is/was. Newly restored negative from my collection. - Bill Cotter

That's a wonderful photograph in so many ways.  It's cool to realize that flagpole with the eagle is still there.  I love that kid's pose.  He looks as if he's trying to look tough and with that hat, he needed to be.

It's also interesting for me to realize I stood very near that spot in 1965 for a photo with my sister and parents.   I was NOT wearing a hat.

That "contrail" sure is puzzling. Very sharp edged, like it hasn't been diffused by the wind, but broad nevertheless.

International Pavilion souvenirs I'd say - perhaps recently purchased from the location. That trail is odd indeed.

Bill, is this negative part of a roll, or is it sheet film? What size? Was there a processing envelope?

The subject and composition say it's a family photo, not commercial. I wonder if it could have been home developed in trays and the streak occured because part of the negative had an air bubble underneath when it went in the stop bath, so kept developing.

EDIT: or maybe developer was dripped on it before it went into the developer tray or tank.

Doesn't give me any further ideas, I'm afraid.

I posted it to another forum where some darkroom dabblers might see it and have an idea.

Seems to me that some folks found that time machine to get to the fair.

That really looks like the contrail of a 747 to me. (;

The Twilight Zone...

Maybe that is Global 33, the jet liner on route from London to NYC in 1961 that broke the sound and time barrier and found itself lost over New York City in 1939 with the world's fair below them .

If "you hear the sound of jet engines flyings atop the overcast--engines that sound searching and lost--engines that sound desperate--shoot up a flare or do something.  That would be Global 33 trying to get home--from The Twilight Zone."   --Rod Serling, February 24, 1961 (episode 54)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim said:

The Twilight Zone...

Maybe that is Global 33, the jet liner on route from London to NYC in 1961 that broke the sound and time barrier and found itself lost over New York City in 1939 with the world's fair below them .

If "you hear the sound of jet engines flyings atop the overcast--engines that sound searching and lost--engines that sound desperate--shoot up a flare or do something.  That would be Global 33 trying to get home--from The Twilight Zone."   --Rod Serling, February 24, 1961 (episode 54)

Good one, Jim.  One of my favorite "Twilight Zone" episodes!!

It was on METV a week or so ago.  I agree, expo boy, it is a brilliant episode and probably my very favorite (well, along with episode 22, "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street").

From an experienced darkroom photographer on another site:

"This could have happened if the print was folded ,right corner folded down half way in the developer, then taken out and put in the stopbat/fixer. Many,Many hours in a darkroom, I have seen similar marks."

So, Bill, I think you woud be justified in removing it.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:50 PM, waynebretl said:

From an experienced darkroom photographer on another site:

"This could have happened if the print was folded ,right corner folded down half way in the developer, then taken out and put in the stopbat/fixer. Many,Many hours in a darkroom, I have seen similar marks."

I'm not buying it.  If it were a fold, I would think it would go through the flag pole and statue. 

I would leave it be. 

5 hours ago, sunguar said:

I'm not buying it.  If it were a fold, I would think it would go through the flag pole and statue. 

I would leave it be. 

That's my plan du jour.

I agree.  The goddess, Roma, (the statue atop the Italy pavilion) is in front of whatever that is.  Remarkable.

On 6/30/2019 at 2:07 PM, sunguar said:
On 6/30/2019 at 7:17 PM, Bill Cotter said:

That's my plan du jour.

I would leave it be. 

Was the darkroom guy discussing prints as he said or negatives as this was? I looked briefly there are some clouds that can look like this...

The darkroom guy commented after I posted Bill's correction that this was a print, not a negative. That's why he talked about prints in his comment, I presume.

It's hard for me to understand how this could happen in the print development, as I would expect it to affect the darker areas (the statue and flag) worse. That's why I speculated it was an overdevelopment in the negative.

An isolated cloud of that shape with such sharp edges is hard to believe, especially since the only other cloud in the sky is a completely different type.