Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Anyone for lung cancer?

Let's go to the World's Fair. Let's try one of those new-fangled Family Phone Booths. Let's smoke a bunch of cigarettes while we're in there. Let's see if the next users appreciate it.

family-phone-booth-cigarettes.jpg
Newly restored Instamatic print from August 1965.

If, back in 1964 (pre Surgeon General's report), you were to say, "Second hand smoke" to someone, they probably would reply, "Second hand what?" and give you a dirty look.  

Ask anyone who collects old TVs. Not only did the picture tube high voltage collect smoke, the whole chassis would eventually get covered in brown sticky tobacco residue, as the heat would circulate air through. It forces you  to realize that everyone's lungs in a smoker's house were actively collecting it. 

4 hours ago, waynebretl said:

Ask anyone who collects old TVs. Not only did the picture tube high voltage collect smoke, the whole chassis would eventually get covered in brown sticky tobacco residue, as the heat would circulate air through. It forces you  to realize that everyone's lungs in a smoker's house were actively collecting it. 

I've been with the airlines for 42 years.  Back when smoking was allowed, maintenance technicians used to trace pressurization leaks at doors and window exits by looking for trails of that "sticky tobacco residue."  I can remember the first time a mechanic showed me what he had found at the aft left door on a B707.  It looked like brown jelly.  Disgusting doesn't even begin to describe it.