Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Bring back the fountains!

Wonderful photo but who would maintain, protect and defend the fountains today if they were restored?

Good idea to turn them into play fountains, as I'm sure you couldn't keep kids (or many "adults") out of them even if the original form were duplicated.

NYC may be one of the world's great cities that is lacking in beautifully maintained parks.  Central Park attracts all of the attention but it, too, was neglected for decades and wouldn't have evolved into the place it is today without the vision of Frederick Law Olmsted.  There have been long stretches of time when the park was all but ignored by the city and allowed to deteriorate and become synonymous with crime and fear.    For a major port, one could lived in NYC and never see the waterfront.  Other than Battery Park there is little waterfront/park access for residents. There are other great parks like Van Cortlandt (an Olmsted creation) and FMCP.  However, FMCP is a mere shadow of what it was intended to be and only exists because it's a leftover from two fairs.  We all know how painfully neglected it was for forty years after the second fair. The City has barely maintained what is already there and has allowed much to fall apart.  And with every chance it gets, the City chips away at it.  Look how much is now the private National Tennis Center.

When I think of that city I think in terms of skyscrapers and concrete. I never think of parks.  The city could turn on those fountains but in no time at all, the place would be allowed to decline once again and the fountains would be a mess.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:12 PM, Bill Cotter said:

That was a year ago, but I don't think anything has actually been done with them. :(

I recognized the rendering - it must have been posted in here.

Oddly enough, the proposed water park appears to replace the mist that was so problematic to start with in May 1939! LOL :)