Sign in to follow this  
cupaloy

RCA World's Fair "Camera Bus" Blueprint?

Anyone have any idea of what exactly this blueprint is showing, and what the connection is to the Apollo program?   

Worlds Fair RCA NASA APOLLO DOCUMENT Blue Print Collection

https://ebay.us/FMKaO8

Hello,

I have no idea, but it seems to have been sold in back in January - and perhaps returned. His other auctions, closed and/or recent - it seems every blueprint this guy sells eventually had something to NASA - even things designed/drawn for MGM studios. It (the NASA bit) could just be "extended" sales hype/hope based on some things he might have had that were of the same origin. 

Thanks - I guess another question is was this some kind of special camera equipment used at the RCA Pavilion at the Fair? The blueprints definitely make reference to that...

11 minutes ago, cupaloy said:

Thanks - I guess another question is was this some kind of special camera equipment used at the RCA Pavilion at the Fair? The blueprints definitely make reference to that...

They do indeed, and that is where Bill or Randy are needed! I'm stuck in 1939! :)

Well, there's ZERO connection here to Apollo that I can see. Methinks the seller is more than a tad "keyword happy". Putting my ancient Electrical Engineering degree to use, this looks like a power layout for the studio at the RCA pavilion. In this case "bus" would be an electrical bus and not the type you ride around on. Interesting, perhaps, but not $100 of interest for me.

Hi Bill, I did think that re "bus" from some Apollo mission stuff (NOT to confuse things) "...Main bus B overload..." or something in relation to Apollo 13 but still don't know what it is. Is it some kind of relay or transfer? I dunno... 

As I read it, the deceased owner once worked for a NASA subcontractor, which has nothing to do with these drawings. What I think they are are the electrical diagrams for one or two (camera/ control and video tape) of the big RCA color remote semitrailers or buses. The power draw (less than 18 kw) is far too small to be for the pavilion. The info also states that the "bus" was used later "for the Apollo program."  Well, of course it was, as part of network coverage.

mu-1964wf.jpg

A closer look shows the ground is labeled "TRUCK CHASSIS"

RCA New Christy Minstrels - from Herb Kircher.jpg

Color snaps courtesy Herb Kircher, who worked at the RCA pavilion.

When I was at ABC these were always referred to as vans or trucks, but I guess bus may have been the term for RCA.

Like now I'm working as a volunteer with the LAPD. We don't check out a "car", but a "shop". That comes from each car having a "shop number" for inventory and repair purposes. It took some getting used to. You might hear something like "Put in a BO for Shop 85144" Huh? That means a "bad order" for the car I drove today, a "bad order" being LAPD-ese for repair ticket.