gabatgh

Admit Tickets, and reprints - telling the difference

Hi folks.

I see these tickets, which sold for $10.50, and the seller states they are reprints. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/columbian-exposition-ticket-reprints-1873855331

I also see these tickets, which sold for $895, https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/worlds-columbian-exposition-admit-one-22935805

The pictures are too small to get details but they exactly the same to me.

How does one tell the difference between a reprint and an original?

I'm asking because I have a group of six tickets, one of each type like theirs. They are all marked A except Handel.  Before I attempt to sell them I want to confirm that they are originals.

FWIW, I also have a Children's Special Ticket, a Child's Ticket with attached stub, a Manhattan Day ticket with detached stub, a Chicago Day ticket with attached stub, and a small unassuming ticket marked 1/S that I haven't figured out yet what it is. Everything is in near mint condition except for the 1/S ticket.

If they were 1939, I would be looking at papers, fonts, inks, colors, age, and the feel of the stock, how they were cut and so on.  If I knew anything about these tickets you have I am certain I would ask you to post good scans of them for review. Perhaps someone here has knowlegde in this area specifically? You might try to email the dealer that sold the reprints as reprints and ask? 

15 minutes ago, magikbilly said:

You might try to email the dealer that sold the reprints as reprints and ask? 

I thought about that. The auction was two years ago and the seller's feedback was over 20,000, so there's a chance that they won't even remember them. But... since I thought of it, and now you mention it, I'll do it because why not.

In 1992, the American Bank Note Company issued a set of reproduction tickets.

!!! EDIT TO MY ORIGINAL POST:

At the bottom of the front face is the line "AMERICAN BANK NOTE COMPANY, NEW YORK" on both the original tickets and the repros. The differences to distinguish the repros is in the back side, which has the added line "Reprinted from the antique original by ABNC / Brookman (c) 1992"

Edited by ScottChicago
Incorrect information