Sign in to follow this  
1964 NYWF Forever

"Hazel" TV Show with New York World's Fair Storyline

Hello Everyone:

I haven't posted in a while, and thought I would share something I came across completely by accident yesterday.  I turned the TV on and it was already on "Antenna TV" network, and an episode of "Hazel" was airing.  It was about 12 minutes into the episode, and I happened to notice that she was talking to the character of Harold Baxter (the child of the family that she works for on the show).  She was describing something to him, then I noticed she mentioned Magic Skyway and dinosaurs, and Santa Maria replica and then I realized that she was talking about the NYWF!!!  I quickly googled the episode and discovered the title: "Just Me, Harold and the Universe", from Season 4 and was Episode 9 that originally aired November 12, 1964. As I started to pay attention from that point forward, I discovered that Hazel had entered a contest for Best Housekeeper of the Year, and the grand prize was a trip for two to the 1965 season of the New York World's Fair.  The fair is mentioned a number of times from that point forward, and then after reading a little bit on the internet, I discovered that Ford Motor Company was the show's biggest sponsor, so it was only natural that there was a narrative by the Hazel character about the Magic Skyway and some of the attractions inside it.  Just thought I would share that with everyone in case you would like to try to find the episode and watch it sometime.  

Ronald

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting that! It's always interesting to see what attractions get mentioned in media at the time and compare to what is most remembered now.

The same thing goes for the pavilions that were selected ahead of time for depiction on souvenir plates, glasses, etc.

Ford aired the Mustang in a special Hazel episode on April 16th, 1964, a day or so after it debuted at the fair in "Let's Get Away from It All"

This thread's episode was aired on November 12, 1964.  Interesting she said they had 10 months before they'd leave.  (-:

A side note, I thought the font used in Hazel's title screens were more for beach themed shows. 

He went to the office and did business just like Ward Cleaver, Jim Anderson and all those 1950s guys.  More to the point, perhaps, what did Mrs. B do all day while Hazel was busy being her maid?  

One more thought:  In the final season, Mr. B went missing.  He was supposedly doing "business" in Saudi Arabia for the entire season.  In fact, both parents went missing and Harold stayed behind so as not to interrupt his schooling.