Sign in to follow this  
magikbilly

Eric finds a new photograph. Perisphere in steel from Trylon's tip 1938!

Hi All,

I wanted to share a new 11x14  photo I added to my collection. Late 1938, Perisphere nearing completion from the highest point available. You can see the Observation Platform and also the edge of the Trylon on the far right. It can be seen at the NYPL site as NYPL catalog ID (B-number): b11686556 here - NYPL . I am unable to make a scan at this size so I am showing their copy for now. Mine is also double-weight, lacks the "FILE COPY" stamps all over the place, and is actually not as cropped as the NYPL example - so showing a good bit more image :) .

The vantage - this was taken from inside the absolute tip top window looking down, with the GCP off to the far left. There is another photo of the same at the NYPL taken at the 470 foot window (you can see it at the linked page - see the other oversized images in this collection), but when you look out of that window, you can just barely see "over" to the center of the top surface of the Perisphere, where the rings meet - you need to be at this height -  nearing 610' to see this in this fashion! And that is a bit too high for me! Oddly, the landscaping is ahead of the structures construction! This is now one of my favorite photographs.

Best always and enjoy,

Eric

1938 Perisphere from Trylon Tip 1938.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Eric!

Glad you have a new favorite. 

And good to hear from you! Seems like it’s been a long time. 

Nice photo. Looks like a sea urchin. Took a second for me to remember just how big that thing was compared to Unisphere!

That's a great photo, Eric.  I remember the original goal was to coat the Trylon and Perisphere with concrete rather than the gypsum board eventually used.  Had the first plan prevailed, maybe these structures would have survived.

Hi, Thanks everyone :D

I am glad you liked it. I have just a few of these pre-fair large publicity shots and I really like this one as it can really provide a sense of scale once the height and dimensions are imaginable. Not a climb for the faint of heart!  The only others I had or have seen (and sold) were from Herb Rolfes - perhaps 4 or 5 just of this subject, and so long ago from Herb himself.

Best wishes, and Happy Holidays!

Eric

• Like 1