mrtobor

Are these worth it?

Hello All,

Does anyone have any (or all) of these Worlds Fair ViewMaster sets? 

Set of 6 Viewmaster packages

My question: Are they worth the price? Are the pics that good? Being ViewMaster, I'm assuming they were taken in 3-D which I find exciting. Another seller has the same set at $169 plus 8.99 shipping. That one I find a bit pricey. 

These are the original Kodachrome Viewmaster process, so they should not have faded. Hard to believe they are an unopened set, hard to picture anyone having them and not looking at them. The question is whether they are worth it to you. I think I have seen individual packets list for $15-$20 each. You have the advantage here of getting them all without waiting for individual packets to show up in the future. 

I have a full set and like them quite well. As far as photographic quality, Viewmaster pics are great at nominal magnification (that you get with the viewer), but since they are about 8mm size, they do not stand up well to enlargement.

On the other hand, if you just want to see the content and don't care about the 3D, you can find them at:

http://www.nywf64.com/vm01.shtml

Pretty much echoing Wayne, the price is pretty reasonable compared to what you would pay for each set and postage on each if bought individually. They are nice to look at with a Viewmaster viewer, but are very tiny images indeed.

There defiantly is a demand for View Masters that are architectual in nature.  I've never not sold any I've ever listed on Ebay or ETSY.

Thanks all. I went ahead and ordered them. Thanks for the link to the pics, Wayne. They look good even though not overtly "3-D-ish" (You know, taken with stuff in the foreground to accentuate the depth). Now if I can just find my old viewer which is packed away somewhere...

• Like 1