Sign in to follow this  
Glen Schultzberg

NYT Redbird Subway Car Reefs

Okay, so New York Subway cars aren't specifically "relics" or "legacies" of the Fair, but a certain model (the Redbird?) was introduced around the time of the Fair (and I think a lot of people associate them with the Fair). And they certainly transported many, many people to the Fair when they were new. Anyway, if you'll forgive the fact that calling them a legacy might be a bit of  a stretch, I found this story from Atlas Obscura was pretty fascinating. I'm sure the retirement and decommissioning of the Redbirds was covered here (just didn't have time to research the topic), and I also seem to recall someone posting about the project that would dump the cars into the ocean to create artificial reefs. This story goes over some of that same information and gives a look at what the reefs look like today. And for some odd reason it's kind of neat to know that the Redbirds have survived so much better than the Brightliner cars!

Photographing the New York City Subway Cars that Retired as Artificial Reefs

Thanks for that!

Now, if someone had just photographed the demise of the Tower of the Four Winds...