Sign in to follow this  
waynebretl

What pavilion? Johnny Carson show

I can't find the original posting, so doing a new one.

This night-time shot was part of the Johnny Carson show opening on 8-24-64.

The question is, what pavilion is it? Reposting in case any new inspiration prompts an answer. 

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW0_npkgG_M

WF whatsit.jpg

Don’t know Wayne, but boy thanks for the 1964 clip!

Glad he explained that topical joke about the Yankees. And all those familiar names! I had forgotten about the trademark golf swing.

Is the question, "What Pavilion was this filmed in?" or "What Pavilion is in the opening credits?"

In the intro it says, "From New York, the World's Fair City" and not, "From the World's Fair in New York City".

Wasn't RCA the only Pavilion with a functioning studio and equipment?  I would have to guess RCA.

There was a montage of images. I recognized the Futurama “wing”, the Fountain of the Planets fireworks, et al. I believe Wayne is asking for the pavilion matching that still image he posted. 

10 minutes ago, xl5er said:

There was a montage of images. I recognized the Futurama “wing”, the Fountain of the Planets fireworks, et al. I believe Wayne is asking for the pavilion matching that still image he posted. 

Ok, thanks.  I misunderstood the question.

Looking at that image, it sure looks like plates of food on a table.   7-up, maybe?

Whatever it was, it had to be brightly lit, as you can see only brightly lit stuff in that intro. I believe it was produced on film, as the color TV cameras of the time were not even that sensitive. Color movie film was still struggling to get usable images of anything that wasn't very bright. This mystery might be solved if only we could see more in the shadows, but increasing the brightness and contrast in Photoshop doesn't reveal anything.

Also, it's hard to guess what the real angle is; was the cameraman tilting the camera for effect?

2 hours ago, xl5er said:

Don’t know Wayne, but boy thanks for the 1964 clip!

Glad he explained that topical joke about the Yankees. And all those familiar names! I had forgotten about the trademark golf swing.

To an old TV nut, it's also interesting to see them using optical titles. Most likely black text on a white paper motorized roll, with video inverted and keyed over the background.

I'm fairly certain that I saw a shot of the DuPont pavilion right near the end of that intro sequence.

Here's what I see:

Fireworks
Fountain of the Planets
Mormon pavilion with luminaire left foreground
[The Mystery!]
GM facade with luminaires foreground
General Foods Arch [I think] (the lighted images portion) with luminaires beyond
Stained glass [Jordan pavilion?]
Luminaires [Mormon Pavilion in background?]
Luminaires (tilted)
Fireworks
DuPont
Blue and yellow lighted rosette [unidentified pavilion]
Fountain of the Planets
GE (very brief and fading to Carson studio)

The crossed lines of the mystery shot look like they could be the Christian Science roof, but the colored discs really throw it off.