Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Can anyone identify these slides?

I recently picked up a batch of souvenir slides that were previously unknown to me. There is no publisher or other info on them. Does anyone know who put these out and what other ones were available?

unknown-souvenir-slides.jpg

Just what I needed, one more thing to search for...

There are some unusual notations on these slides.  

Some of the titles and the numbering/lettering is interesting.  I'm curious as to what the (A), (D), (K), and (L) prefixes mean.  Also, on some of them, the print of the subject isn't centered on the slide.

Is it possible that these aren't commercial slides, but personal slides that someone has typewritten the subject on the mounts?

Night shots number 8 has the text off the slide mount at the top. This suggests to me that it is a commercial item with a manufacturing mistake, as a private person probably would have corrected it and thrown out the badly printed mount. 

Bill, can you take one apart (or several if you dare) and see if the film brand is identified? May not be any help, but who knows?

3 hours ago, sunguar said:

There are some unusual notations on these slides.  

Some of the titles and the numbering/lettering is interesting.  I'm curious as to what the (A), (D), (K), and (L) prefixes mean.  Also, on some of them, the print of the subject isn't centered on the slide.

Is it possible that these aren't commercial slides, but personal slides that someone has typewritten the subject on the mounts?

The A, D, K,  L are the set codes, then 1-8 for each of them. There are likely B, C, etc out there as well. These are printed on the slide mounts, not done by typewriter.

53 minutes ago, waynebretl said:

Night shots number 8 has the text off the slide mount at the top. This suggests to me that it is a commercial item with a manufacturing mistake, as a private person probably would have corrected it and thrown out the badly printed mount. 

Bill, can you take one apart (or several if you dare) and see if the film brand is identified? May not be any help, but who knows?

Yes, that one slide has the title partially rolled on the top edge then over to the front. Sorry, no way to take these apart without destroying the mounts. They are solidly in there!

it's hard to see, but isn't (K) 5 actually Travel and Transportation, misidentified as Port Authority?

36 minutes ago, waynebretl said:

it's hard to see, but isn't (K) 5 actually Travel and Transportation, misidentified as Port Authority?

It's actually Spain!! I will have to look through these as I scan them and see what else they got wrong.

Wow.

Also seeing a lot of black borders, like frames were mounted off-center or duplicated off-center.

My father bought two sets of slides just like these and then included them with the slides he took.  He spent quite a few minutes selecting the ones he wanted.  They came in a long pack of maybe six or eight slides.  I still have them.  I will check them to see what other identifying information there might be.

On 3/10/2019 at 8:58 PM, waynebretl said:

Wow.

Also seeing a lot of black borders, like frames were mounted off-center or duplicated off-center.

Yes, I am scanning these now and a lot are off centered or at angles. Looks like they were duped that way. They must have shared a Quality Control team with the Photo Lab outfit.