Nars

IMAGES ON EXPO 67 SOUNDS

Living Expo 67 was a visual,sound and olfactory experience. Unfortunately,we will never retrieve the exotic smells.We find an incredible amount of videos and photos,but to my knowledge,there is only one sound document,the one produced by the CBC with Paul Reid as narrator.I've started synchronizing related Expo images on this sound document.Here's the result of the first 2:22 minutes.If I find matching images to the rest of this sound document,I intend to continue.

IMAGES SUR SONS PART 1.mp4

This is a cool idea and what you have so far reminds me of what I missed.  My mother asked me to visit just two pavilions to be able to report back to her:  Austria and West Germany.  I made it to West Germany but never got to Austria.  I cannot remember why.  Anyway, I see you're making your own photo montage to mesh with the audio recording.  It's an excellent project. I've seen most of those photographs before. Are they in the public domain?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

You planning on crediting your photo sources?   

I always try to respect copyrights.On the internet over the years, I often came across one of my own photos that had no watermark or any identification.Now,I paste at the lower right corner of each of my photos the small logo Normphoto because my name is Normand.
If I know who is the author of an unidentified photo,I will indicate it soberly at the bottom of the photo.It's impossible for me to know who took each photo and if it offends someone because I used his/her unidentified photo taken more than 50 years ago,I'll just abandon this project.

2 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

Perhaps a general acknowledgement at the end for those you might know?

Bill,here's a copy of my reply to you and Roger La Roche on the Expo 67 Facebook group.

I wanted to do this project because I think it would be something new that fans of Expo 67 would like.The last thing I wish is to offend anyone for using one or more of his/her photos without his/her consent.The problem is that it's impossible to know the author of each photo.
I see one possible solution to avoid any problem of copyright.

I suggest something that might be a bit silly and be free to accept or refuse it. If I sent you a list of the photos I will need for the next 10 minutes of video,would you be willing to have a look among those you own and privately send me the ones that could be suitable? I'd incorporate them in the video which would then become a joint venture.Of course,all the acknowledgments would be made at the end of the video.

Send me a list of what you need and I will be more than glad to send them to you. No need to note me as the source on each photos; as suggested, a general thanks to the contributors at the end would be just fine with me. I think it's a great project and would be glad to help.

• Like 1

That was great, must have taken hours finding the right pictures. I`m glad everyone seems supportive of your project, and realizes this is a means to an end in creating a wonderful presentation for fans, not to make a retirement fund. I also have this record, and once tried to line it up with moving images from expo. Let`s just say, the Academy did not have an award waiting for me.

Thank you for having the patience to create this, and look forward to the finished product.

• Like 1

On 2019-02-25 at 1:31 AM, Jim said:

This is a cool idea and what you have so far reminds me of what I missed.  My mother asked me to visit just two pavilions to be able to report back to her:  Austria and West Germany.  I made it to West Germany but never got to Austria.  I cannot remember why.  Anyway, I see you're making your own photo montage to mesh with the audio recording.  It's an excellent project. I've seen most of those photographs before. Are they in the public domain?

I have been in contact with Bill in the last days.He already sent me photos that could be used for the video,but more are needed and he's working on it.Roger La Roche also said he would send me his photos.

It's possible that we don't find photos that will perfectly match the soundtrack and it's even possible that suitable photos are impossible to find is some cases.The only solution will be to remove the problematic parts of the soundtrack and join together the remaining parts as smoothly as possible.Editing sound is different from editing video and more picky,and thus taking more time.

I'll add a slide at the end of the video with the acknowledgements along with this note:  No copyright infringement was intended in the creation of this video. Please contact me at xxx if any queries or issues.

We think this should be enough to avoid offending anyone,and also avoid any problem of copyright infringement.

One final note: I did a bit of sound editing and a lot of video editing before,but I'm not a professional in neither of the two fields.

On 2019-02-25 at 1:36 PM, Bill Cotter said:

Send me a list of what you need and I will be more than glad to send them to you. No need to note me as the source on each photos; as suggested, a general thanks to the contributors at the end would be just fine with me. I think it's a great project and would be glad to help.

The link is not working for me.

13 hours ago, waynebretl said:

The link is not working for me.

I did not receive a notice of copyright infringement,but rethinking about it,I felt that I was violating copyright with this work and I disabled the link.

8 hours ago, Bill Cotter said:

Sorry the project seems to have come to an end.

I'm so sorry too! I tweaked the soundtrack of the first version that I had made and made a different last slide with acknowledgements to make it easily readable.
But this image posted by Roger La Roche convinced me that I certainly violated the copyright somewhere in the video.Copyright rules are so complicated that it has become almost impossible to quickly create something simple but different,with old images of Expo 67.

BTW, I wonder if i'm infringing copyright rules by posting the image below without written permission by its creator.

53057886_10157632315183968_2682674424628379648_n.jpg