Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

The go-karts were a 1965 addition

Not to mention the gas station flags, the two old tires and that overgrown mess in the circle; it's all so charming.  If this was new in 1965, what was on the site in 1964?  And was this considered to be an improvement for the second season?

I'm a bit confused.

Was this the Avis go-cart track?  (not the Avis Antique Car Ride which was located in the Transportation Area)  Or was this located near the Post Office in the area marked, "Parade Grounds"?

What is confusing is the background of the photo, which appears to show two General Food's Arches, and an Entrance Tower.  There is only one area of the Fair that had two Arches in close proximity and an Entrance Tower, and that was at the "Main" entrance (Gate 1).

If I can identify the buildings in the background, I may be able to pin point it, but I thought I'd ask first.

No, this wasn't AVis - those cars had bodies on them, and that was over near Kodak at the former Pan American Highways area. This was a very cheap installation behind the Pavilion of American Interiors. We're looking past that building towards the Gotham Plaza area way off in the distance. You can spot the Mormon Church in the back as well.

Here's the incredibly expensive signage for the area!

go-karts.jpg

1 hour ago, Bill Cotter said:

No, this wasn't AVis - those cars had bodies on them, and that was over near Kodak at the former Pan American Highways area. This was a very cheap installation behind the Pavilion of American Interiors. We're looking past that building towards the Gotham Plaza area way off in the distance. You can spot the Mormon Church in the back as well.

Here's the incredibly expensive signage for the area!

go-karts.jpg

Yes, the signage.  How could you possibly miss the go carts?

Are there any aerial shots of this area in 1965?

I take it this the Pavilion of American Interiors on the right, is that the "infamous" bakery sign peeking out on the left of the building?

It's quite hard to believe such an unsightly mess could have been a part of any world's fair.  

13 hours ago, Jim said:

It's quite hard to believe such an unsightly mess could have been a part of any world's fair.  

Yes, indeed. I would have to think whatever revenue this brought to the Fair Corporation had to be quite negligible, and not worth the eyesore, noise pollution, and overall cheapening of the Fair experience.

I found something interesting while trying to locate the site of this go-cart ride.

I believe it was located near the Formica Pavilion (house?) in an area called "Enterprise Common".  What is interesting is the fact that this area changes its physical shape from the 1964 Time-Life map to the 1964-1965 Time Life map.  It seems to widen in the latter map.  (Strange)

The question I have is why was this area paved in 1964 with nothing on the site?

There is also a paved (cement?) nearly circular area in the River Commons area (called a Bandshell) which I originally thought was the location.

Interestingly, the area does not show up in the 1964 Time-Life map, but does show up in the 1964-1965 Time-Life map as an area with two access roads.

(Changes from 1964 to 1965:

Bill: It seems an area in the River Commons area was paved for the 1965 season.  Also, a larger area was paved in an area called "Parade Ground" behind the Pavilion of American Interiors.  The Time-Life maps show the changes and I'm looking for some aerial shots to confirm.  I'm not sure if you want to include this in your "Changes During the Fair" topic on your website).

It was apparently paved as a parade staging area, and for use for concerts, etc. Let me know if you spot aerials of those paving changes! Might just be the way the maps were drawn...

That's pretty much what happened in 1940 after the USSR pavilion had been removed.  The Fair had no exhibitor for that rather significant space so it became the American Common which was basically an empty space with grass.  And that was a lot more appealing than that go-cart thing in 1965.  Looking any those go-cart photos, I can almost hear Bette Davis saying "what a dump!".